Hosted by Darren Baker
ESCI Land Rover
flyerhank
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 03:37 AM UTC
I recently received ESCI 1/24th 109 Paratroopers Land Rover. Upon examination, it appears to be a decent rendering (except for the bogus camo nets). Does anyone have any reference material on either the actual vehicle or this model? Also, am looking for any compatible aftermarket stuff that might be available.
Mad_Dan_Eccles
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 01:39 PM UTC
If memory serves this ESCI model was an attempt at a standard 3/4 ton FFR( Fitted For Radio) series 3 with a few extra goodies added to make it a "Para" vehicle. If memory serves this kit has some common sprues with the civilian model, and I can't be certain that it truly reresents a military version out of the box.

Things to watch out for when building a military spec Land Rover include:

-Front bumper; the military version has overriders under the headlights
- The rear cross member is the same depth all the way across, while the civilian version taper to the outside
- There are two "bumperettes" at the rear
- A heavy duty chassis was used though this probably won't show on a model
- The cross member under the transmission was removable on military land rovers
- Spring hangers were slightly longer and this makes the truck sit a little bit higher - not much but enough to be noticeable
- The fuel filler was under the seats, while civilian versions had a filler cap on the right rear, just behind the wheel arch
- A military lighting set up was used - though you may not want to replicate the functions, there will be a 6 position switch in the centre of the dash which will be visible; Infra red headlights were also fitted
- FFR versions had 24 volt electrics, whith tow batteries in a locker where the center seat would have been on a standard version and a hand throttle; there's a lot of extra wiring and boxes for the radio gear as well asa radio table and radio batteries

There was also a version known as the CL (Commercial Logistics) which was a standard civilian 109 without the service improvements

I've got the world's tattiest example of a standard 109 FFR sitting in my driveway; let me know what bits you need pictures of and I'll post them on photobucket - you'll have to wing the radio installation as the MoD removed useful stuff when they put the truck up for disposal

HTH
Aidrian
 _GOTOTOP