_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4 Sherman Mk I Hybrid & Mk I -144th RAC
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

144th RAC M4s

Made a few changes to these two. I didn't like the turret decals so re-designated them to a B Sqn Vehicles, changed the turret markings, added some stowage. Added full skirts to the Hybrid. This changes the equipment arrangement on the rear of the Hybrid and the vehicle setting will have to be before 18th July 44 when they still had skirts but I think I prefer them this way. Still more work to do, the sides need a little more contrast and I'll add some boxes and tie the loads down. There may also be a side bar added to the Hybrid as the pic would seem to indicate that but I'm not 100% certain. I'm not too concerned about the rear arrangement as I really just wanted to do a range od M4s rather than any specific vehicle.

re the stowage on the blanket box, they seem to have carried stuff their vision blockage or not.

Anyway here's some pics:

M4 Sherman Mk I Hybrid

M4 Sherman Mk I

Cheers

Al

jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 05:58 PM UTC
Hey Alan.
I know you have a job but you're either unmarried or don't have a social life.
Where and when do you find the time to build such kits?
Unbelievable output from you, just amazing.
I'm lucky if I find time to build one kit every 4 or 5 months, if I ever finish.
Another bevy of photos for my laptops desktop gallery.
I say again, AMAZING!!
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
Morning John,

What's a social life ???

Thanks for the feedback, I wanted to do a couple of the less modelled versions that were around in the early days of the landing. In truth I usually have 4 or 5 things on the go at any one time, so that's why I seem to build quickly, which in fact is far from the case as they hang around for months, but then usually all come together at once.

Often it's easier and quicker to do 2 or 3 of something at the same time say tools, it's just as easy to paint 3 sets as it is one, a sort of producton line lol, lol. If things are drying etc then there is always something else that can be done in the time if you know what I mean.

Of course late nights and early starts might have something to do with it too

Cheers

Al
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:20 PM UTC
I keep telling you guys he's a modelaholic !!!! He shows up at M.A. meetings with kits and glue. l.o.l.
Alan you've got the weathering, dust - ups down to a science, beautifully done.
Cheyenne
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:41 PM UTC
They look good Alan. Do you have a reference for the spare wheel being carried on the turret side? I haven't seen that before.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hi Glenn,

Good to see you around again, Hope you're not too busy lol, lol. Thanks for the comments, need a little more contrast on the sides me thinks.

Hi Pat,

If you look at page 71/72 in British Tanks in Normandy there's a couple of pics there. Also there's some footage on the World at War series that shows a whole column of British Shermans going by all with the wheel on the turret. I think, but don't know for sure, that this was a 33rd Armd Div SOP a bit like the Micks with their spare wheel on the LHS by the driver. It may just have been unique to 144th RAC although I used the same spec for my 1NY Sherman Mk Is.

The kits are not 100% true to the reference pics I used, but pretty close to the general layout for vehicles in that unit.

Also can anyone tell me if they agree there is a rounded side bar on this fellow?

A clearer picture appears on page 31 of British Sherman Tanks and it appears to me that the tank is carrying a rounded side bar fixed at 3 places along the bottom RHS of the hull. Does anyone agree??? I was going to add one to the Hybrid.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP