_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Need ideas for tank display (diorama?)
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 08:40 PM UTC
Hi guys..

I've been building models in my childhood long long ago..
Now I just re-discovered how much fun it can make.. I am working on a Leopard 2 tank at the moment

Now.. I was thinking of how to present the finished work best.. guys.. I need some input ..maybe a mini diorama ??

Please bear in mind that I basically just started with this.. so I probably won't be able to model all these super fancy thing :"( sniff....
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hi!
Glad to hear that you rediscover the hobby! Welcome, and donīt be afraid to shot out some questions, everybody here will like to answer them, Iīm sure
Why donīt you use just a single base (like Tin_Can made with his M48A3, check the post here...), it brings life to model and you could also put a figure or two.
Just my 2cents (brazilian!)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 09:40 PM UTC
Thanks for recommending it Paulo. It was my first try at a base after seeing how good models looked on bases at the IPMS Richmond show a couple months ago. It doesn't matter what kind of base in my opinion. I tried for something really simple and tried to copy how Gunnie does the bases for his kits. The base is actually a pine wood plaque I picked up at Michael's for $1.50 and then I stained and varnished it. After the varnish had dried I taped off a square in the middle where the groundwork would go. I then coated this square with straight white glue then sprinkled on a green turf made by Woodland Scenics. You can find this stuff in the railroad section of your hobby store. Gunnie actually recommended another material but I couldn't find it. The turf I got was more of a green color so I airbrushed it (after it had dried) a flat earth to match the dusting on the tank. After I had finished airbrusing I carefully pulled off the tape I had used to tape-off the center square. When your done you've got a textured groundwork in the middle and stained and varnished sides. It's pretty simple actually so you should be able to handle it with no problem and it really adds to the overall appearance of the model-in my opinion.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 09:42 PM UTC
Welcome back to the Wonderful World of Modeling!

I would just keep it simple. May I suggest, like Paulo mentioned but, add just a little - maybe a "on the side of the road" scene? You won't get crazy trying to add all sorts of trees and shrubs, building ruins...ect. Could be a simple dirt road. Just add some track patterns in the road, and a little grass, a fence, a tree?

Very little can speak volumes...
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 11:00 PM UTC
How about something simple. I would think a Leo out on the firing line or going down rage on a firing table would look good. Just a concrete or gravel area for the firing line. Going down the table would be a gravel road. Then you could actually do some weathering on the leo.

Steve
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 11:30 PM UTC
wow.. some cool ideas thx

I like the side of the road theme I think.. hmmm maybe a muddy little road with some gras like stuff on the sides.. how would I do that best ?

Putty... sand on top.. then spray in earth tone colors ?

I bought myself a double action airbrush last week.. but unfortunately they didn't sell airbrush skill as well ....might have to play around a bit...
TJ
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2002 - 11:52 PM UTC
Get Concord's Leo2 book. It has some great pictures that will give you lots of dio ideas.
 _GOTOTOP