_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
SKIF 2S1 updates/conversions
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 04:53 PM UTC
Ok, I was askied about this in a PM, thought we should have a thread.

How to improve the SKIF 2S1?

First off, there is a upgrade program for a true 2S1M that extends the bustle rack and squares off the front of the turret. I have not seen what this looks like and there are no photos I can find of it as of the moment. The 2S1 m1985 is the most common variant in service with the Russian Army right now and was considered a (M)odernization as previous variants were upgraded to its standard as they came due for maintenance etc...but did not recieve the coveted ( ) M moniker at the end.

Help:

Eduard PE is a must.

New tracks, preferably Master Club or Miniarm. Fruils are good too, if you like to mess with metal.

New turret. Kit turret is a mix-mash of variants. AEF Designs and SP Designs do replacement turrets. SP Designs new turret is hollow cast and very nice. http://saammodels.tripod.com/companies/spdesigns/other/index.htm

New Barrel from Model Point. Worth the money. Really.

New Roadwheels. Kit ones lack rims and detail. I think Masterclub do some of these too?

Upper hull is somewhat of a mess. Drivers hatch is incorrect and the Edaurd PE is of no help fixing it. Consult references. I will look for the # of the Military Miniature in Review that has a build of the kit in it and explains a lot of the issues.

That will get you fairly well along into a good represtenation of a 2S1.

Here is one picture of my 2S1 behind a 1V14 FO/FDC vehicle. I cheated a bit as I used a upper hull for another 2S1 variant (UR-77) that only required a few fixes on my part to make a 2S1 upper hull. The turret is a OOP version of the m1985 from SP Designs, which is not related to the new kit that is out. It has SP Designs tracks (OOP and not as good as above), Eduard PE, SP Designs wheels, a Model Point barrel, and some scratchbuilding. I will try to post better pictures tomorrow.

arkuo14
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 215 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 07:33 PM UTC
this is really good info.. thanks for sharing jacques! i too couldnt find any info on the "M" version anywhere on the internet.. im gonna do the steps you did to make my SKIF 2S1.. thanks a lot!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eduard PE is a must.

I totally agree.

Quoted Text

New tracks, preferably Master Club or Miniarm. Fruils are good too, if you like to mess with metal.

I built the Friul and the Miniarm. Friul are really easier to build. The Miniarm are nicer but the connectors are very fragile. They are not the same type but honestly I can't tell if it's that important.

Quoted Text

New Roadwheels. Kit ones lack rims and detail. I think Masterclub do some of these too?

Miniarm do some too. You can get them separately or in a set with the roadwheels. No sprockets though.

HTH
Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:00 AM UTC
The MMiR issue is #25.

I do not have the master Club tracks, but if they are like the BMD series, nand I have no reason to believe they are not, they should be well worth the $$$. I have the Fruils, I am not that impressed witht he work needed for dealing with metal tracks. I am lazy too...
 _GOTOTOP