Hosted by Darren Baker
Vietnamese T-55-which version?
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 - 04:52 PM UTC
If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. I've gotten hold of some N.Vietnamese decals and I'm planning to do a Vietnam War T-55. The Tamiya T-55 can be built as one of several versions. Does anyone know, did the PAVN operate the Soviet T-55A Model 1962, or was it the T-55 Model 1970? Which version do I want?
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. I've gotten hold of some N.Vietnamese decals and I'm planning to do a Vietnam War T-55. The Tamiya T-55 can be built as one of several versions. Does anyone know, did the PAVN operate the Soviet T-55A Model 1962, or was it the T-55 Model 1970? Which version do I want?

NVA used the Chinese Type 59 and the PT76 mostly, but they also have been known to use T-34's too. Remember that prior to 1972 almost all tanks were North of Da Nang, and were very easy pickings out on the border when they tried to move them.
gary
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 03:33 PM UTC
Gary:

Were there any Soviet-style T-55s in Saigon at the end? I have a Tamiya T-55 I need to build.

Please don't mention the T-69 I have had working since the first Gulf War. Oops, I mentioned it.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 05:39 PM UTC
Hi Gary. The PAVN used PT-76s and T-54s mostly. However, this book I have here, "Armor of the Vietnam War (2) Asian Forces" by Albert Grandolini (a great resource) states," In 1974 the PAVN received a small number of T-55s. They marked an improvement over the T-54 with their more powerful engine and an increase in ammunition to 43 rounds." There is an accompanying photo of some PAVN T-55s crossing a river. The Tamiya T-55a comes with optional turret stowage boxes for the Polish and Czechoslovakian versions but the PAVN tanks don't appear to have used any of them. Nor do they have the large searchlight. I built my T-55a as the early Soviet version, and used spare PAVN decals from an old DML Shilka kit. It turned out all right. I'll post some pics when I can get hold of a camera. Good luck with your own T-55.
trickymissfit
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary:

Were there any Soviet-style T-55s in Saigon at the end? I have a Tamiya T-55 I need to build.

Please don't mention the T-69 I have had working since the first Gulf War. Oops, I mentioned it.

Time Magazine ran a photo of what looks like a T55 smashing thru the gates of the Presidental Palace (or whatever they called it). The first documented use of tanks was at A101 (Lang Vie SF camp) near Khe San.
I remember very listening to that one taking place on the fire push. Out at the western end of the Que Son Valley we often heard tanks late at night, but never actually saw them in the daytime.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Time Magazine ran a photo of what looks like a T55 smashing thru the gates of the Presidental Palace

That was a T54B or a Type 59. I've seen the pic many times.

Quoted Text

The first documented use of tanks was at A101 (Lang Vie SF camp) near Khe San.

That was a PT76.

You are so correct about A-101. Somewhere you can actually listen to the sound track recording of the firepush during that one evening. You'll be able to hear a Marine Major and some other folks on Khe San talking with the guys on 101. You'll be able to hear the roof collapse, and gun fire from 76mm cannon while the guys are whispering below them. Though times!
gary
 _GOTOTOP