_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Good BMP-2 Model?
Recce_Guy
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hello,

I am looking for a good BMP-2 model in 1:35 scale. I would like it to be from around the 1985-86 era serving in Europe as part of a Soviet Guards Division. I have seen a couple different ones made by that Russian company and by DML. Can some one point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Cam
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 03:32 PM UTC
I think the Dragon BMP-2 is out of production.

Zvezda makes a BMP-2 and a BMP-2E(as used in Afghanistan with the mine plow).

Revell-Germany will be coming out with a BMP-2 in November...likely a re-box of the original Dragon kit.

There are lots of aftermarket parts to detail any BMP-2....just do a search for "BMP" on Great Models Webstore's site.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 04:01 PM UTC
Isn't one of the resin manufacturers going to do one with an interior, or am I off my meds again.

Miniarm.. Miniart...

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/miniarm.htm

Miniarm it is..probably quite pricey though..

Mike
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 04:06 PM UTC
A good BMP-2 will involve several things depending on the level of detail desired.

1. OOB. DML/Italeri/Zvezda/Revell are all kits from the same molds. They represent either a BMP-2 w/applique armor or a BMP-2E with the spaced armor added and usually the mine-plow. The Esci/ERTL/AMT kit is equal in detail but is of the earlier non-applique version.

2. Mostly correct. Add a new upper hull or do some scratch-building. The periscopes and rear upper-hull hatches are incorrectly placed. Both Esci and DML (and all others) have other issues like gimmicky working hatches or open periscopes. AEF Designs and SP Designs both offer completely new upper hulls. A new barrel from Model Point is also good as the muzzle break on any of the plastic kits is incorrect and noticable. An Eduard Photo-etch set is good as well to help give some of the details some refinement.

3. Really correct without scratchbuilding the whole thing. All of the above and... new roadwheels, new tracks, new idler/sprocket, and a whole new turret are in order. New Tucha smoke grenade tube launchers. New antenna base. This will give you a really accurate BMP-2.

If you want a variant BMP-2, SP Designs also has some of them.

Mostly, it is a ok kit OOB. Adding stuff to the base kit can make something spectacular, but it will take time, money, and patience.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 06:52 PM UTC
There have been two versions of the BMP-2 offered in 1/35th scale. One by Dragon DML (offered with slightly different bits to depict an Afghan War version as well), and the Esci kit. The Dragon kit is available in Dragon boxes, Revell/Germany boxes and Zvezda boxes.
The Esci kit was released by Esci, AMT and Ertl. These molds are now owned by Italeri, but they have not seen fit to reissue the kit. Both models came out around the same time (around 1989), and are comparable in molding quality.
Unfortunately, neither is entirely correct, as westerners with cameras and tape measures were not yet allowed to get near to Soviet AFV's when the companies were developing the molds, so it's matter of which kit's errors bother you more. The Esci kit is hard to find these days, so by default, the Dragon item will probably have to do...
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 08:18 PM UTC
There's a review on Track Link of the Dragon BMP-1 kit (which had the same suspension etc). Basicaly the whole undercarriage is the worst part of the kit, together with the upper hull.
I'm planning on building it with the SP designs upper hull, and place it in a dug in defensive position to hide the suspension.

Hope this helps.
Recce_Guy
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:40 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info.

I think I will probably go with the Dragon kit or Zvezda.

Thanks,
Cam
 _GOTOTOP