Hosted by Darren Baker
Abbazia of Chiaravalle
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 06:16 AM UTC
Every now and then there comes along an unforgetable model, that has been a true labour of love, in both time and effort.
In the June 2007 edition of the IPMS Stockholm web magazine, the headline feature was a 1/25 scale model of the Abbey at Chiaravalle (located near Ancona, Italy). Containing approx. 200000 bricks and 38000 roof tiles, it took almost 3 years for a group called "Associazione Modellisti Chiaravallesi" to create.

Please check out the three part feature Abbazia of Chiaravalle - Group Project of a Lifetime

And also some more recent images of the model in its home setting - the 1/1 scale version. Chiaravalle project - post scriptum

Id also like to recommend browzing through the magazine and previous editions as some great models and info is included.
IPMS Stockholm web magazine
For the last few years, the magazine has had seperate English and Swedish forums, but plans are underway to combine both in an English/Nordic language forum.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 07:08 AM UTC
Wonderful work, thanks for showing Franck.
As a castle builder i can certainly well apreciate the work they did .

Cheers
Claude
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi Claude. If anybody can appreciate what is on show here, you definately can. When I first spotted this and was reading through it, I was thinking of you and your recent work as well. You may not have built stone for stone, but every bit as impressive.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 09:23 AM UTC
Franck,

I consider this as a a wonderful work, but , i admit, i see it more as a tedious long work of putting this 200000 stones one by one, the structure itself not looking all to difficult to me.

Also i was alone, no group work, 8 dioramas with 60 figures incorporated in my build, no architect and no other professional to help.
So this is a bit of a different modeling i believe.

Do i will see you in Folkestone ?

Cheers
Claude

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 09:38 AM UTC
Wow Frank, that's phenomenal and as the writer said unusual to get that sort of collaboration from so many modellers who all have their own idea of how things should be done
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So this is a bit of a different modeling i believe.
Do I will see you in Folkestone ?

Hi Claude. Yes, very different modelling styles, both in methods and probably in the end result as well, but its the grand scale and final impression that is comparable. When I look at your work or this castle, I get so inspired .. just want to build something!!
Unfortunately I wont be in Folkstone. Something that I regret very much. Had planned to go to the "C4" in Malmö, Sweden, but its changed to the end of october and conflicts with my trip home to Ireland.

Hi Pat. Yeah, it must take a special kind of modeller to build with others .. especially here, as its all built more or less the same way. I kinda understand how the Spanish guys work ..one builds the groundwork, one builds the armor and one does the figures. At least they can express their own ideas in their preferred field, but here .... More power to them!
I guess I´ll never know as Ive no choice but to build alone.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC
Whoa, [ speechless ].
 _GOTOTOP