_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Something I have noticed on this site...
kayelbe
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 07:20 PM UTC
I am amazed at how diverse the users of this site are. There are people from all over the world! It's hard to notice, though, because (at least the boards I follow) everyone is writing in English. You people, for whom English is a second language, do not even realize how special that is. It reminds me of a "joke"...you probably can guess the punchline:

QUESTION: If a bilingual person can speak TWO languages,
what do you call someone who speaks only ONE language?

ANSWER: American

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 07:56 PM UTC
Sir, I most definatly am american, and I must tellyou that i speak French, Russian, minor German, a little Italian, and I am starting Japanese classes here soon to learn more of the language. So, there in fact, me being an american and Knowing more than one language, realy blows your arguement out of the water!!! btw welcome to the site stug

PS all those languages help in the chat room at times, which has gone mutli-lingual on several occasions!!!
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi Kevin!
I knew the joke, but answer was "English" instead of "American". A lot of us speak english otherwise working wise woud be a big problem. When I was a Reuters manager with reponsibility over 29 countries it would be tough to make me understand in Italian.
I agree with Steveus too... It's not a general rule that english speaking people doesn't speak any other language. For instance once I spent a lot of time to convice an American lady I met in France that in Italy we were speakink Italian and not Spanish or French!!!
Ciao
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 08:34 PM UTC
American, French, Italian, German etc.............
It goes here about a nice site: Scale modelers site. The people who come in this site have the knowledge of more than 1 language other wise you will be still on your National site.
We will do one thing for all of us because we speak more than 1 language and the world is happy waar gaat dat heen??
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 10:14 PM UTC
Hi Rima,
I'got an English friend of mine ho moved to Netherlands for work. After a few months he spent in Amsteradm, one day he called me and he told me that studying Dutch he understood why in Holland you all speak three or four different languages: because it's even impossible to think in Dutch!!!
Is it true?
Ciao

P.S.: I love the Netherlands
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 10:44 PM UTC
Dutch is the most difficult language i ever learn out off 6
RIMA is not Dutch at all it is ...............
kayelbe
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:06 PM UTC
Stug,
I meant no offense by what I said. I was just pointing out that I was impressed with the multi-lingual abilities of my new overseas friends. I know a lot of people whose ONLY language is English that could learn a lot from these people.

SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:08 PM UTC
I am Stug's wife and Although I'm not starting Japanese classes this term I will be studying over his shoulder and I also speak French, German, and Spanish.. On top of that I'm a Texan not just American... SO, Not all of us are unfortunate enough to be hindered by a single language... Trust me no offence was taken by me, but I'm glad to have made as many multi-lingual friends as I have on this site... Have fun and enjoy the site...
RIMA
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:11 PM UTC
No offense token you are right there but you can not change the world This is a modeling site there are no borders and language needed we all have one thing in comen MODELING even if the english wrighting goes bad zo what :-)
kayelbe
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2003 - 11:23 PM UTC
I didn't mean to strike a chord here!
Personally, I have studied French (2 years in High School--13 years ago, though).and
My wife was born in Mexico, so I have learned a lot of Spanish from her. I am far from fluent in ANY language (including English), and I am not saying that all Americans are "mono-lingual" Obviously that's not true.

Ich bin sehr erbärmlich
Je suis très désolé
Soy muy arrepentido
Sono molto dolente
Ik ben heel droevig
I'm sure I have left some out.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hey everybody, I think Kayelbe was being complimentary, not offensive. I know that on a number of occasions I have been impressed by linguistic capabilities of many of the members of this site. I wish I could converse, read, write, more than one language. But, I have enough problems with English. (And I was an English and Military History major in college.)

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC
kayelbe, no offense was taken but maybe you should hit the edit button and change the punchline of the JOKE. In these days we have lost our CE forum and there are those who will take offense to AMERICAN jokes as we seem to be the root of all evil. I also was just trying to point out the not all americans are single language numskulls from Podunk, Whereever. I have to admit that the only reason I'm studing Japanese this college semester is I'm living Japan for work. My co-workers are amerrican and when I leave work thats where English stops and needing to speal Japanese starts. It's not easy buying milk and asking where it is in the store when the bi-lingual Japanese clerk is afraid to speak english, becuase he's not perfect at speaking english. I can say this though Japanese hobby shop owners will let you open boxes to see whats in them after they are frustrated enough to scream!!!! Actually he has little pocket translator that we each type what we ant to say and it translates for us, but hey I'm not keeping score!!! stug

PS want anything from Japan???????????????
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:39 AM UTC
Hey, I am only fluent in English and live Marion, Indiana so I guess I qualify for numbskull from Podunk reference. Man, do I ever hate it when that happens...
ROFLMAO

Gotta go, Hee Haw is on...
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
I used to know a few pick-up lines in German with limited success. Does that count? #:-)

Seriously, I think that knowing multiple languages is just wonderful! Reminds me of a couple that I was on a train with going from Denmark to Belgium... soon as we hit the Belgian border, they switched from Danish to Flemish.
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Family photos Keenan? LOL
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
You guys really slay me!!! I can honestly say I've never had so many laughs off of one harmless post!!! Ok Maybe harmless isn't the right term, inoffensive.. Yeah that's a little better!!! Have fun guys....

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
Sow1, I'm having a great time, you are right, some pretty funny stuff.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC
I must say I'm sad I cannot speak the languages of my ancestors, even a few generations back, as they come from so many countrys : France, Germany, Ireland, England, Tunisia, Australia... Doesn''t it make an interesting family ? But in fact, those I should still learn are Arabic and Hebrew.
And given the fact that my girlfriend is from central / western Africa, the next generation will also have quite a few languages to learn !
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 07:04 AM UTC
I know enough German and French to get my face slapped.....does that count as multi-lingual???
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:19 AM UTC
Grant, absolutely yes!!!
What are the first things you learn in a foreign language? For survival to ask for food and immediately after all the bad words... Isn't it?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2003 - 08:32 AM UTC
No scoccia, the essentials, Beer and smokes.
 _GOTOTOP