_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Building a T-80 without ERA?
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 06:48 PM UTC
I would like to build a T-80 without ERA. I'm thinking the following (top pic):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-80

For this I'd need:
SP designs, T-80U model 1985 (+ tracks and road wheels)
Skif, T-80 kit
Scratchbuild, sideskirts, square LHS turret stowage boxes
Re arange, Tucha mounts

I have this site for reference:
http://serkoff.narod.ru/photoalbum42.html

I don't really care what model it is, as long as it looks the the pictured on the Wiki page. (Apart from it being a B version.)
Is there anything else I need to take care off?

Thanks in advance.

C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 07:13 PM UTC
Clickable links (for the lazy like myself).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-80

http://serkoff.narod.ru/photoalbum42.html

MR do a set of T80 roadweels might be just the outside wheel only though, to spruce up the Dragon DML kit.

I think the T90 tracks from Miniarm would work???

Cheers,
Removed by original poster on 09/09/07 - 16:55:39 (GMT).
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 02:39 AM UTC
That is not a T-80U, it is a T-80B. The SP Designs conversion kit will not help with this. The SP Designs wheels/tracks will help.

The problem is that there is no way to get a really good T-80B right now. I shudder to say this, but putting all your effort into making the DML kit look good may be the easiest way to get one right now.

If I where going to do it, here is what components you would need:

1. SKIF kit is only good for the lower hull. Upper hull would need to be modified to have a Gas-turbine engine deck like the T-80U. The SKIF kit has a T-80UD prototype deck. Turret is not correct for this version.

2. Turret would have to come from either a DML T-80B or else modification of a SKIF T-64 turret, probably the -A version as the -B version is not as accurate to start from. (I am not sure, I have not looked over the two turrets to do this conversion.)

3. Many small details would have to be parted out from either the DML -B kit or the SKIF T-80UD and one of the T-64 kits.

4. PE from Eduard for the DML and SKIF kits would be needed.

5. A new barrel

As you can see, there is a LOT of work needed to do this particular vehicle and also why you do not see too many T-80B's out in the world that are not DML kits "fixed up".

Questions?
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 03:16 AM UTC
Questions?

Absolutely!

Can I make a T-80U without ERA? (Were these even made without ERA?) IE with the same appearance as the T-80B pictured on the Wiki page?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
In short...no. The T-80U was designed with K-5 to be attached from the begining. The turret was redesigned on the T-80B to what is now the T-80U because the K-1/3 ERA, while good, was not a integral part of the design and thus it was not as efficient at covering the weakspots of the -B turret.

The T-80UD early, as depicted by the SKIF kit, had K-1/3 ERA for the first 50 or so tanks before the K-5 was added. All of the ones built with the K-1/3 were "rebuilt" with the proper K-5 once it was available.

Now, while you certainly could build it without the K-5, it would look a little weird as the turret shape is quite different and would look like a vehicle either used either for scrapping or as a tech demonstrator:

(Cut and paste to see the picture...hot linking does not work.) http://serkoff.narod.ru/t-80-0031.jpg

Notice that one of the gunner's sights is missing and the kobra guidance sight is on the turret. Smoke Grenade Launchers are attached directly to the turret face. This all leads me to believe this is from a prototype or a technology demonstrator as it is very atypical. This could also be the elusive turret of the T-80A...
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In short...no. The T-80U was designed with K-5 to be attached from the begining. The turret was redesigned on the T-80B to what is now the T-80U because the K-1/3 ERA, while good, was not a integral part of the design and thus it was not as efficient at covering the weakspots of the -B turret.

The T-80UD early, as depicted by the SKIF kit, had K-1/3 ERA for the first 50 or so tanks before the K-5 was added. All of the ones built with the K-1/3 were "rebuilt" with the proper K-5 once it was available.

Now, while you certainly could build it without the K-5, it would look a little weird as the turret shape is quite different and would look like a vehicle either used either for scrapping or as a tech demonstrator:

(Cut and paste to see the picture...hot linking does not work.) http://serkoff.narod.ru/t-80-0031.jpg

Notice that one of the gunner's sights is missing and the kobra guidance sight is on the turret. Smoke Grenade Launchers are attached directly to the turret face. This all leads me to believe this is from a prototype or a technology demonstrator as it is very atypical. This could also be the elusive turret of the T-80A...

That's a weird one for sure, the turret's face is near vertical with a very hard edge between the vertical face and the top of the turret. Admittedly I'm no expert and the one frustrating thing is the lack of good close up shots of the turrets of the T-72 and T-80 that give good visual description of what those surfaces are actually doing. Seems as that's a primary reason why the aftermarket guys don't really all agree on what a T-72 (or T-80) turret should look like.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 01:05 PM UTC
Yeah, it is strange, that is why I had to mention it, so that someone would not find it and go "See...."

I really think this is a T-80A type turret. It has the Kobra Guidance box, lacks the K-5 ERA mounts, has that "Dip" in the frontal arc of the turret roof, and still has the remote Controlled Commanders AAMG.

As for what master makers are doing...well, I think some of it is deadline induced and some of it is just laziness to really study the photos of a specific tank. They are out there, so you could do a accurate T-80B turret, it just takes some work. ( I know, I am a great one to talk since I have not doen this "easy" conversion to make a T-80B )
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 05:35 PM UTC
Thanks Jacques,

Sounds like it's not as esy as I thought! I'll keep this on on hold for now...
For a good walkaround of a T-80B, I use this one:
http://svsm.org/gallery/T-80B?page=1
The Tanks in Moscow one is good as well.
There's also a walkaround of the one featured on the Wiki page (St Petersburg?), but I've lost the link to that one. Maybey you have it?
 _GOTOTOP