_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T72BM in Cecenia ?
guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 437 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:44 PM UTC
A big hallo to everyone. This is my first topic and I hope to find a little help from you.
I bought the T72 BM conversion from Miniarm (as soon as possible I'll send you photos from my WIP). Now the question is :was this tank in Cecenia conflict and if your answer is yes, which was its camouflage scheme. Maybe a 3 tones-camouflage (sand, green, black) or overall russian green? I've no idea.
Thanks in advance.

Guido Adorno
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:35 AM UTC
Ciao Guido(I'm Italian)....sure T-72bm is in this conflict but the few photos that you can find on the net show only overall russian green camo...(I have seen other camo on this tank but I don't know where the shoots were taken).
I've some photos that can help you if you want....send me a pm with your mail address and I'll post you them...
where did you get the miniarm kit?!?!I've this kit too and I'm still painting it :-) yeah I'm a slow modeller :-)

Ciao ciao
Ciro
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:06 AM UTC
Yes the T-72BM is in use in Chechnya.

Yes it has been seen in both Green and Tri-color.

Have at it, we expect pictures!
guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 06:39 PM UTC
Thank you boys. Jacques, do you think I can apply also the 2° camouflage scheme, to say, i.e. grey, green, black?
Thanks again. Cheers.

Guido Adorno
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 01:43 AM UTC
The Grey,green, black cammo is generally only seen on units either in the Siberian District or with Naval Infantry. Not sure there are any T-72BM with this cammo, I will have to look.

You could certainly do that color scheme if you want to, but it may not be entirely accurate. But then again, this is more about what you want...a T-72BM in the colors you like or a photo accurate representation. I do not think anyone will snub you because you choose either one.
guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC
Ok Jacques, precious infos. Thanks. Do you know, I think my T72 BM'll be overall green. I don't know, but it seems the right colour, my personal opinion of course, for the war in Cecenia.
Thank you again.

Guido

P.S. My next tank'll be one T80 version. So I think I'll ask you one or two cons if it's not a problem for you. Bye bye.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A big hallo to everyone. This is my first topic and I hope to find a little help from you.
I bought the T72 BM conversion from Miniarm (as soon as possible I'll send you photos from my WIP). Now the question is :was this tank in Cecenia conflict and if your answer is yes, which was its camouflage scheme. Maybe a 3 tones-camouflage (sand, green, black) or overall russian green? I've no idea.
Thanks in advance.

Guido Adorno

Here you go, sandy yellow, green, balck streaks
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 02:11 PM UTC
Jeeze George, looks like ....dust colored to me. How can you tell if it is tri-color, I can barely tell they have ANY color under all that dust!

On a serious note, at least it proves the T-72BM is out and about and not a storage depot monster.
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 04:05 PM UTC
You should see sudden change in color on far left K-5 brick on the side of the turret. I seem to download this picture from some forum, there were others that clearly showed yellow color.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:25 PM UTC
Over at Missing Links are some good pics of the T-72BM in Chenchnya. Search for T-72BM and Chechnya in the Modern forum.
Btw, all are in overall green.
guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:11 PM UTC
Oh yes, I' ve got those of Missing Linx but this is the only BM I saw, if i'm not wrong. What do you think?

http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/modern/russia/inaction/grozny-79.jpg

Guido
Wakemeup
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 880 posts
Armorama: 874 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC
Ciao Guido,aggiungi pure queste!!!!
Hi all,maybe these can help you.......Ciro

VolkerS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi,

I've got pics showing BTR,BMD and 2S3 in chechenia, wearing multi-color cammo, some green, sand and black. No doubt on that. As for painting regulations (and not only that, variant designation is another topic) in former soviet union and now russia, we should drop western standards or thinking like assigning a certain color combination (exclusivly) to certain units, vehicles or regions!
Just for inspiration: http://pilot.strizhi.info/2007/02/28/2964#more-2964

volker
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 03:26 AM UTC
ML thread
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/message/1166182425/T-72BM+cammo+and+usage

guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 04:43 AM UTC
Ok, thanks to everyone again. So we can say overall green or 3 tones-camouflage scheme is the right thing, above all if we haven't a specific tank to do, with numbers or insignias to say.
Those pics with antiRPG protections on hull sides.....hmmmm.
The only ones???
And now another question. I don't remember where, but I've read something about those flanges, that are on the upper surface of the barrel (in the Miniarm aluminium barrel are some slots only, so you have to do by yourself with placard strips those flanges and don't forget the nuts on them).
It seems those flanges are 15° grades turned on the left of the barrel's axis, when you stay in front of the turret.
Surely I saw this feature on T90 and some T80 pics. And on T72 BM?
The barrel is the same, if I'm not wrong.
Best regards.

Guido
P.S. I glued on my kit the barrel turned on the left. Let's hope......
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
They are holders for thermal shroud tissue. Sometimes they can even be on either side for easier access for maintenance. But most of the time they are set either dead on 0 degrees or somewhere around 10-20 degrees to either side. One suggestion, plastic card would be to thick and make barrel look like one from DML kit (duhh), try using adequate thickness foil instead.
guido
Visit this Community
Siracusa, Italy
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 02:45 AM UTC
Thank you George, good cons.

Guido
 _GOTOTOP