_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
german camo
perlossing
Visit this Community
Kristianstads, Sweden
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 05:56 AM UTC
comments please!

I try and try, however the result are not what I want.
It take a lot of time to make a figure and when the result is not acceptable, I feel
A little bit helpless and angry.
These soldiers are painted with tamya colour, acrylic and oil.
I have not weathering, and there are some details left to paint.

Is there any “school” in painting figures at the internet, or books to bay.

I know there are a lot of articles here in that subject, and I use some of them. For example to paint faces in oil
But I need pics, sometimes I have difficulties to reed and understand English.

Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 06:39 AM UTC
(Osprey Modelling)Modelling Waffen-SS Figures by Calvin Tan.

This book is exellent and has good pictures to explain the painting tecniques using acrylics.You might want to use Vallejo acrylic in the future as Tamiya are not very good for painting figures using a brush,they are better for airbrush work.
Do not be too dissapointed as your figures look pretty good.

Steve
ADNeate
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 06:55 AM UTC
Painting Figures

Try that maybe you'll find something you'll like.
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:11 PM UTC
Those guys are looking pretty good, have no fear as you will get better the more you do, and as your techniques are refined and adjusted. Just have one minor comment, noticed the mold lines (especially around the hands). You may want to clean them up a little more, as that little detail will enhance your builds, whether they are models or figures.

Keep up the great wrok, and if you can obtain that book by Calvin Tan, use it. It's helped me, if for nothing else to make sure my colors are accurate.

Cheers!

Tim
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 07:39 AM UTC
I was going to say the same thing about cleanup. On a kit or figure it makes the look of plastic go away by cleaning every mold line. Just get a 600 and an 800 sanding stick and it will do wonders, let alone help you paint them as washes won't go straight into the mold lines making them look even larger.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:27 AM UTC
Here is an excellent article by Jaume Ortiz on how he paints oak leaf camo. He is one of the best around when it comes to painting camo so have a look!

http://www.timelinesforum.com/index.php?page=oakleaf1
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 05:18 PM UTC
Seems like everyone wants to refer you off-site, but there are plenty of excellent painting articles right here on the KitMaker Network's figure site, Historicus Forma (your Armorama user name and password will work to log you in) - so you don't even need to go far

Painting 3 Types of German WWII Camouflage

Other painting articles:
Painting Features on HF

I also recommend the book Steve Readdie above recommeded as well as the Osprey Falschirmjajer book by Jaume Ortiz and Daniel Alfonsea (not 100% certain on his surname?)
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC
Actually I was impressed with how well your camo patterns turned out. The only thing I would suggest is when painting eyes, you can usually get away with using a simple dark wash of raw sienna or burnt umber oil paint. Doesn't really matter what color, as long as it looks good to you. Here are a couple of heads that I am working on now. The guy with the American flag inspired helmet so far is simply a flesh colored base coat (acrylic) with a wash of raw sienna (oil based). A second wash was applied after the first had dried for about an hour. I plan on doing a little more but not much else.

I can get very frustrated myself when painting figures. I painted each one of these guys almost a dozen times before I was relatively satisfied with the results. I think figure painting has to be one of the hardest parts of this hobby to master. Good luck and keep practicing.
 _GOTOTOP