_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
September DMoM Submission Period Closed
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 04:25 PM UTC
The submission period for the September Dragon Model of the Month contest is now open and will run until September 30th. Voting will be held from October 1 to October 15th with the winners and prizes announced on October 15th.

Contest Rules

We are also asking that you follow these guidelines when submitting your entry via the NRC or by email directly to support(at)armorama.com:

1) Please state in the title of the email or ticket "DMoM June Entry (screen name) and provide your first and last name in the body of the email or ticket so we can properly credit your entry should you win.

2) Remember to state what category (either Advanced or Intermediate/Beginner) you would like to compete in.

3) Provide 10 or so shots in addition to your Contest entry photo, unedited, of your entry that will be used by the Judges to evaluate the Judges' Award Winner. Resolution should be at least 800x600 please.

4) State which of the shots submitted you want placed in the gallery for voting purposes. If none is stated, we will randomly choose from the images submitted.

Plenty of time for you to clear out a project on your workbench before the end of the month, good luck to all who enter!
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hi,

I've just sent by mail my entry photos. I hope all is ok

Spit
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:59 AM UTC
Pawel,

Your entry was received, good luck in the contest!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A topic came up in last months DMOM about where people should post, ie, beginners/intermediate or advanced. I didn't feel I could comment as I had a kit in the beginners/intermediate section.

So firstly thanks to those who voted for my kit much appreciated.

Now back to the question. With 2 years development and experience I felt Intermediate level was appropriate for me. Those who have 5, 10 or 20 years experience are what I would consider advanced modellers having tried a range of kits and developed their technique over a longer period of time. Served their apprenticeship if you like.

Is it about the quality of the build, I don't know, partly it is, but as the vote is by popular choice I would surmise that subject plays a more central role in the over all result.

I've entered 2 kits these past few months and I'm still pondering if there was anything to be learned or gained from the experience. It's a bit of fun and I personally like looking at the various builds some of which I've seen develop and some I've missed. Trying to make and objective and rational choice is sometimes hard given the quality of the entries.

Do voters look at all the entries? If the view figures are right then some don't otherwise all the views figures would be roughtly equal. Who knows, and anyway it's a kudos and a free kit for the winner which is nice.

Good luck to all in this months competition.

Cheers

Al
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:30 AM UTC
The contest rules state that "prior month's winner ineligible to win/enter". By winner, do you mean the member, or model?

Thanks.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The contest rules state that "prior month's winner ineligible to win/enter". By winner, do you mean the member, or model?

Thanks.

Sam,

What that means is that the individual who entered and won any of the three prizes is ineligible to compete the following month but may compete again the month after. An August winner is ineligible to compete in September but can compete in October. It does not refer to the actual model entry.

biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 05:25 PM UTC
Taking part in the MOM contest all those months really did help me improve and develope my techniques it motivated me to build and finish more and pay more attention to the small details and the fun factor and chance to win a new kit was the icing really, only problem these days is i started bloggin my builds and that kinda goes against the rules which i do understand the reasons for but i still enjoy the contest and take part in the voting i also like to guess who the builders are its always fun.

Ron.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

only problem these days is i started bloggin my builds and that kinda goes against the rules
Ron.

Really? I looked over the contest rules twice and I don't see anything about this (However I may be wrong and just can't read ) It would be kinda silly not being able to present models built here....

wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 01:22 AM UTC
Having a blog in the forums does not disqualify an entry from participation in the contest. The only exception to this is if a work is published on the homepage prior to the contest voting being held to avoid giving any extra exposure or promotion to one entry over another.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 01:26 AM UTC
oh my god! Ron will win everything now Well Spitty, you must work harder, much harder
freeguner
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 01:59 AM UTC
I sent my entry. Please confirm if received.
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 09:25 AM UTC
curious i just reread the rules i thought there was one to do with the anominity of the entrys so people didnt vote for the modeler rather than the model but i must have dreamt it lol ~eyes my bench to see what i can get finished before the end of the month~ Spitty with the quality of builds that go up every month we all need to keep working at it i used to be happy just getting a vote of two and still would be

Ron.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 02:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I sent my entry. Please confirm if received.

Your entry was received Guner, good luck in the contest!
freeguner
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 08:15 PM UTC
Thanks Bill, good luck to all
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
I've sent my entry in to support [at] armorama.com. Please let me know that you've received it.

thanks

bob
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 02:06 PM UTC
All set Bob, good luck in the contest!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it about the quality of the build, I don't know, partly it is, but as the vote is by popular choice I would surmise that subject plays a more central role in the over all result.

Okay I just take part in the popular vote and I base my vote on a number of factors: quality of build, quality of finish and quality of photographs. Of course a Sherman is going to catch my eye quicker than a pzr but that doesn't influence my vote in the long run. I think where a lot of modelers let themselves and their models down is in the photgraphs they use. It's no good having the best built and finished model in the comp if it can't be seen from the photo. There are some good tutorials on Armorama and other places about photographing models.

Quoted Text

I've entered 2 kits these past few months and I'm still pondering if there was anything to be learned or gained from the experience.

Well I haven't ever entered the DMOM as I'm barred because I'm staff but as in any competition modellers can ask themselves why was that model voted ahead of mine and can they see any objective reason that the winning model was judged as better, better techniques, finish, photograph etc and use the answer to try and improve.

Quoted Text

Do voters look at all the entries? If the view figures are right then some don't otherwise all the views figures would be roughtly equal.

I do -obviously some don't. Some people will always vote subjectively, like voting for a party because your dad voted for it. I think competitions while they're not the most important thing about modelling are valuable to community participation and to improving people's techniques. If I wasn't Staff I'd enter
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 01:26 AM UTC
Files submited via RC.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
Your entry was received Marcin, good luck in the contest.

I agree with Pat on the point of the importance of photography. In this particular contest, the photo IS the model. How that one photo is presented (quality of the photo, lighting, angle, etc.) ultimately will influence the viewer more than any other factor...more so than the subject itself. The "view count" is the count of those who have chosen to see the enlarged image over the thumbnail, but if the thumbnail doesn't get their attention, they often won't look at the larger photo. The same thing happens at regular judging contests where there's a 1-2-3 judging model, those judging will look over the field and separate out those that are not in the top tier visually for a variety of reasons and then more closely scrutinize the top tier to select which one gets their vote.

This doesn't mean you have to go out and get a fancy $800 camera and setup, it's possible to get high quality photos using regular digital cameras and just a couple of well placed lights. Most come with some type of editing software to help in getting a good quality picture as well.

sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC
I agree with Bill and Pat. Some contests have featured a lot of models where the turret and barrel were turned toward the viewer. This made the muzzle fuzzy and out-of-focus, and, consequently, was distracting. It made you want to push it out of the way; since it dominated the picture.

(To whoever made this Tiger, good job. The whitewash looks great, and your choice of background color complemented the tank well.)

HTH
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are some good tutorials on Armorama and other places about photographing models.

Wouldn't someone posting a link or two? Sorry for the
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 08:02 AM UTC
How about an entire forum?

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewforum&forum_id=27&page=1
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 03:19 AM UTC
File submitted!

Good luck everyone!

cheers
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC
Entry received Rick.

6 days left before the submission period closes!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 12:21 AM UTC
4 days left before the Sept Submission period closes!
 _GOTOTOP