_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
m1a1 aim solenoid cable
davsam28
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 05:36 AM UTC
hi can someone please give me info on where the solenoid cables go on the 50 cal gunners station ? i have a few reference books and none show where this cable is located !! it would be a great detail addition!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi can someone please give me info on where the solenoid cables go on the 50 cal gunners station ? i have a few reference books and none show where this cable is located !! it would be a great detail addition!!

Dave-- I am relying on my ancient brain cells for this one. On the M-1. the .50 solenoid had two wires coming out of the buffer and running into a circuit. If I am not totally screwed up on this one, you set headspace and timing than used the charging handle to load a round. The original M-1 fire from either inside or outside the commander's weapon station (CWS). The M1A1 had numerous alterations, but I just do not recall if the CWS .50 changed from the M-1. If you do not get a response try a PM to John Charvat at tankrider. He was always smarter than me.
DJ
MUMSTER
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 02:27 PM UTC
David
Here's a pic from Tamiya Con "05" I hope it helps

Ed Mummey
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:19 PM UTC
Ed-- good photo.
DJ
davsam28
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:36 PM UTC
awesome thanks for the pictures
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 06:30 PM UTC
Just a question, Isnt the solenoid on the opposite side of the gun to the cocking handel? About 1/3 of the way up the body of the gun from the rear? As there would be no way that the power cable could be conected or pass throu the buffer.

Cheers Jason
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 08:03 PM UTC
Here we go. This is from a Styker but I think the solenoid would be the same.
Credit for the photo goes to the Australian Army web site.

f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 08:22 PM UTC
Excellent pictures. I was also wondering where to connect that cable. I had simply left it off till I could find the right pictures. Thanks.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 01:43 AM UTC
Jason,
The M1 tank and the Stryker utilize differant varients of M2 .50 Caliber Machine Guns.

The M1s use the M2 TT or Chrysler version with no sighting system, a modified back plate (fully automatic firing mode only, a safety & no spade grips) and a M10 charging system mounted on the left side of the MG (the flat bar shaped item just to the right of the selonoid assembly in the picture) instead to the typical charging handle that is mounted on the right side of the MG. This was first used in the M1 cupola on the M48A1 tank.

The Stryker uses a plain vanilla M2.50 Caliber with an add on selonoid. It can also be manually fired by the Vehicle Commander if there are problems with the RWS.

Hope that this clarifies the question and not raises more...

John
Removed by original poster on 09/22/07 - 07:21:18 (GMT).
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:24 PM UTC
Howdy everyone, here is another picture in "Barney Vision' with the solenoid/roller/trigger rigged correctly. When activated the solenoid on the M1A1 CWS pushes a lever that causes a roller on the opposite end to press on the "butter fly" trigger to fire the Ma Deuce. The bare wire cable seen beneath the buffer on the back plate is wrapped around the trigger and secured to the lever to fire the M240 (pulls the trigger) when it is mounted in place of the M2.

Hope this is of some use. And a special "Tanks" to my brother Ed for helping me get this picutre posted. Out here. Mike sends . . .
 _GOTOTOP