_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help building a VT8-460 engine M-50.
bulldog68
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 07:50 AM UTC
Calling all IDF fan I need help,I've been building and super detailing a M50 and M51 now I need help building a engine.
any help would be helpful.I can provide info on the engine.
any takers.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC
Mike, the engine is a big V-8 turbodiesel. Pictures of it are rare. Generally speaking it look like any typical V-8. the big visible difference is that the exhausts come up the sides and over the top to the turbocharger, which nestles in the valley of the V. The turbine side empties straight down into the intake manifold; the compressor (hot) side exits straight towards the rear of the tank. Depending on which time frame you choose, it is then either routed down to the left rear plate and out, or routed straight up through the center of the engine deck as portrayed in the kits. The valve covers have raised letters on then that read "TURBODIESEL". AT the front of the engine (rear of the tank), at the bottom there is a drive pulley for the two radiator fans. The fan belt arrangement looks like a V from the rear. I haven't yet tried to build one of these, so I can't recommend a starting point. Perhaps a 1/24 scale or so big-block from a car kit might be a good start. I'm sure the snail can be found in a car kit, too, but the exhaust piping and intake manifold will probably have to be scratch built. HTH,
Greg
bulldog68
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the info the parts manual shows all parts and only from the left bank view,My scrachbuilding is not up to the job.
Do you know someone who can build it or has?
I will take your info and try to run with it. The engine is 950ci I don't know how big in 35th that would be,So a 1/25th Car or Truck engine??
Thanks.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 09:57 AM UTC
You have a parts manual?!? I'd love to see that....
950 cubes is pretty big; I suppose truck engine is better size-wise. But I'm not a civvie vehicle modeler, so haven't a clue what truck kits come with motors. I know that a lot of the big rig motors are huge inline sixes, so that would obviously be wrong. I might have to look around at truck kits and see what I can find. Don't be put off by scratchbuilding, though...while writing this I've just about talked myself into it! If you have some reasonable estimate of exterior dimensions, then start with big hunks of styrene stock and start shaping. Valve covers could be shaped from separate pieces easy, the lettering would be more difficult. Raiding a car kit or accessory set could supply the turbo, and a well-stocked truck kit could provide stuff like a starter, alternator, water pump, and the like. The car guys also have accessory fan sets for the radiators. Exhaust piping might require cutting and splicing several exhaust elements from different kits and some styrene rod as well. A challenging project, to be sure, but not impossible...give it a try!
Greg

Quoted Text

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the info the parts manual shows all parts and only from the left bank view,My scrachbuilding is not up to the job.
Do you know someone who can build it or has?
I will take your info and try to run with it. The engine is 950ci I don't know how big in 35th that would be,So a 1/25th Car or Truck engine??
Thanks.

bulldog68
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:20 AM UTC
Greg,
Thanks for all the info,would you like a copy of the manual?I got it from the Cummins company.If so e-mail me and all get you a copy.
[email protected] maybe you'll build one.
Mike.
 _GOTOTOP