_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon M51 Turret,is it true 1/35th scale?
bulldog68
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi all,
Is the turret correct in scale in 1/35th, I just stoped and thought about it.
What can I do if it's out of scale?
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 09:58 AM UTC
Good question, Mike. AFAIK is should be pretty accurate; I don't recall anyone really trashing them over it. Some years ago MMiR did a side-by-side of the Academy and original DML kits. While both had their problems, general shape accuracy of the turret wasn't perceived to be a concern. I have both early and Premium DML kits and the Academy one, as well as several resin and plastic T23 standard turrets from DML, Italeri, Tank Workhsop, and the like. Accounting for known variances in T23 shapes from different foundries, my own opinion (worth at most $.02) is that the DML M51 turret doesn't have any glaring accuracy problems.
Greg
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:13 AM UTC
Oops. You asked about corrections. A tough go, IMO. You would have to get a good T23 shell, like fromDML's late M4A1 and M4A3 kits with the 76mm gun. Then you would have to chop off the rear of the turret and graft on the counterwieght bustle sawed from the original DML turret. Not sure it's worth it. Performing this surgery using the DML M50 turret parts on another turret shell can create a different look; I've done it and it isn't hard. But for the M51 I'm not sure the minor change in outline is worth the work.
Greg
bulldog68
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 02:14 PM UTC
Thanks Greg,
All use the DML M51 turret as is I've done so much work on it all ready so to start over would be a real drag.
Cheers
Mike
 _GOTOTOP