_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya Paints
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
What a great site!! Glad I round it!

Anyway, I am getting back into modeling after a few years off and decided to try Tamiya paints but now I have seen many negative reviews on using them for figure and detail painting. Any truth to that? I have also heard it is hard to dry brush with them.

I have noticed that they are not that thick and I need two coats on some things. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 07:53 AM UTC
welcome to the site! I usually use model master paints,but I can tell you one thing thier white smells REALLY bad
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:14 AM UTC
Welcom to the site and back to the hobby.

When they first came out, the compound was great. A few years ago, this changed. While some people still swear by them, I have all but stopped using them. Among the worst problems is how fast they dry on the palette if you are mixing colors. This stuff would become useless in less time than it takes to get hands and face primed in a 54mm figure. Also, that they develop a "skin" very quickly while you are applying them, so that any touch up start to lift the seemingly dry paint.

I just don't have the timie and patience to deal with that frustration.

This is my experience and opinion of Tamiya paints. Your experince and that of others may be different.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:26 AM UTC
I know I'm among the few here who use and like Tamiya paints...I use them for everything....undercoats....base coats....dry brushing.....washes....detail painting.....I agree they did change a few years ago but all I did was change my approach too.....adaptation for me was better than buying a whole new line of paints!!!
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:33 AM UTC
Dioman, what do you do differently?

Drying to quickly...that is a HUGE problem with them.

Are Model Master Acrylics better?
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:50 AM UTC
I dont use there acrylics....if they have them.....but they do work very nicley and are reasonably cheap (:-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
I use Tamiya acrylics for painting armor and Vallejo acrylics for all my figures incuding flesh tones.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 10:34 AM UTC
First of all welcome on board. You will soon recognize how good are the fellas ut here!
I use Tamiya for vehichles in general, enamels for and oils for and drybrushing/weathering.
For buildings I use often Tamiya but very diluted 70 to 80% and I've got no problems. For figures I'm just starting now and I'm experience enamel as basecoat and oils for finishing.
Ciao
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 10:47 AM UTC
I used to use MM but switched over to Tamiya a few months ago and have been pleased. Mentioned above was the 'skin' effect, which is a huge pain in the butt, but if you let stuff dry you'll be golden. I use Tamiya acrylics to drybrush as well, and frankly, they work better than any other type of paint I've ever tried (MM anmels and acrylics, Pollyscale, W&N Oils, and finally Tamiya). When I airbrush I only need one coat for coverage, but brushing by hand usually takes at least two coats and sometimes three.
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 10:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the help guys! I was on the Fine Scale Modeler forums but it would sometimes takes days to get a reply. This is great!

Yeah, feels great to be back in it. I finally have a desk, of sorts, to work at!! I am starting back into it slowly.

The "skin" problem..I have noticed that big time. One other question though....when applying a base coat to, say, the snow camo pants of my figure, should I think the paint with the Tamiya thinner first and if so, how much?

Thanks a bunch!
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
Sladog,
this is a forum! Compared to Armorama all the other forums look dead!!!
Ciao
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
I use a variety of types and brands.
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 02:41 PM UTC
I like the Tamiya acrylics but ONLY for spraying. I thin them with alchohol and a really good product called acrylic extender. I found it in the craft paints a Micheal's craft store...it retards the drying time to reduce clogs in the airbrush. I don't use Tam. acrylics for brush painting anything because of the extremely fast drying time. For that I prefer Pollyscale acrylics which I also spray. I got sick of my model master paint drying to a solid chunk in the bottle after only a couple uses.....complete waste of money.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 02:46 PM UTC
Save the money on the Tamiya thinner to go towards buying paint, models, or food if you can pull yourself from your desk long enough. Just head out to the pharmacy or grocery store and buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol (isopropyl). It will save money and gives results that are every bit as good.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hi sladog, welcome to the site .I use Tamyia for spraying only I foung them useless for hand brushing.Some time back the guys were raving about these craft acrilycs you can get in art shops I tried them and their good cheap and you get a lot inthe bottle Ive been using them on scenery where you need a lot of paint . :-)
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 07:53 AM UTC
Great for airbrushing crap for hand brushing, if you don't let them dry enough your second coat will simply remove the first and make a big mess.
 _GOTOTOP