_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
September DMoM Voting *Closed*
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
The Voting galleries for the September Dragon Model of the Month contest are now open. Please see the links below to the galleries. Voting will remain open until Oct. 15th. Good luck to all the entries!

Beginner/Intermediate Gallery

Advanced Entries
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 06:40 AM UTC
Duty done. Great models this again. As I havent had the time to be around much in this last month, Ive missed a good few of these models and its really cool to be able to see the month´s finished work in one place.

Again I feel there are at least 2 models that do not belong in the beginner/intermediate section. I have purposly not voted for either, as I feel this section is better served to giving a stage for those who are newer modellers or feel they belong in this section, rather than an easy award for somebody who (in my opinion) should be competing at the higher level.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 06:51 AM UTC
Done too. And it's nice to see some "different" subjects!!

Really good looking one's in there (again).

Mike
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 06:58 AM UTC
You guys sure don't make it easy to choose. My votes are in.
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 07:13 AM UTC
Tough to pick which ones I like the most. Really good job to all entries. Good luck to all.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 07:26 AM UTC
Duty done

Good luck to all!

cheers
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 07:28 AM UTC
Job done, some excellent kits, hard to choose as always.

Al
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 07:29 AM UTC
Well, this mothns votes are done. Once again some nice models and a good variety of subjects. Good job to all and good luck!

DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 08:15 AM UTC
Done and done! It was tough to choose, once again. Good luck to all!!

gunnytank
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:26 AM UTC
My votes are in. A great job to all, some outstanding weathering on these vehicles.
Don
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:40 AM UTC
I have placed my votes! Some really nice looking models. Good luck to all who entered!

Sadly, I have to echo Franks comments.
TankTrap
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 403 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 04:31 PM UTC
Voted.
Man those are good.
My vote in the begginer/intermediate was easy as i would have voted for it if it were in the adanced section.

(maby its just personal preferance over the other types of vehicles )
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:48 PM UTC
Well... voting certainly was not easy this month - in either category. When looking at the Beginner/Intermediate category I did a double take - I was convinced I was looking at the Advanced gallery.

Great work, all.

Rudi
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:17 PM UTC
So many fine models and only one vote per category...
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 04:12 AM UTC
I have voted as I try to do most of the time. My request is could we have a permanent link to the voting galleries placed on the main page/ home page so they are easy to locate, this may even encourage more people to get involved in the voting side of things as its not reliant on them finding the forum post. This depending on whether it’s a tab or a bold eye catching link could achieve the kind of input from members everyone seems to want.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 05:05 AM UTC
They were all very nice and choosing just one was tough!

Great job to all!

Jeff
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Duty done. Great models this again. As I havent had the time to be around much in this last month, Ive missed a good few of these models and its really cool to be able to see the month´s finished work in one place.

Again I feel there are at least 2 models that do not belong in the beginner/intermediate section. I have purposly not voted for either, as I feel this section is better served to giving a stage for those who are newer modellers or feel they belong in this section, rather than an easy award for somebody who (in my opinion) should be competing at the higher level.

I feel the same way, one clearly had advanced techniques, so I skipped right over it, it shoud play where the likes of Milo and Biffa play. (another had some advanced stuff too- not quite as well versed, but a very good start). you can tell when someone is starting to cross the line and making the attempt for the first few times at the advanced stuff, but I don't know if 5-10 layers of well-applied and varried weathering would be constituted as 'beginer' class. I don't mean to jump on this, but the beginer class should be the beginer class IMHO. Anyhew, great builds to all! A tough choice as usual
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 05:56 AM UTC
As always a tough decision. But votes are in. Good luck to all.

Doug
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have voted as I try to do most of the time. My request is could we have a permanent link to the voting galleries placed on the main page/ home page so they are easy to locate, this may even encourage more people to get involved in the voting side of things as its not reliant on them finding the forum post. This depending on whether it’s a tab or a bold eye catching link could achieve the kind of input from members everyone seems to want.

Darren,

The post is stickied here in the AFV forums precisely to accomodate what you are asking for. The post also gets bumped up on the latest posts page throughout the voting period to boost awareness as well for those who don't use the traditional forum method of finding posts.
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 305 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:03 PM UTC
isnt there a way that the armorama staff or even the guys who vote can decide what models go into what class ? dont know how you will do it though, it may be harder than i think. as i have only been a member for a short time does this happen often ?. i dont mean to offend anyone with my questions.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Darren,

The post is stickied here in the AFV forums precisely to accomodate what you are asking for. The post also gets bumped up on the latest posts page throughout the voting period to boost awareness as well for those who don't use the traditional forum method of finding posts.

I understand that but its not exactly the same as seeing it when you visit the site as a bold statement of members efforts, I also appreciate that its bumped up to endeavour to bring the feature to the forefront for anyone visiting the site, however it is not the most efficient method of bringing this to peoples attention. If this was made a feature of the site in its own right perhaps also showing past and present entries. While the winners get a thread in their own right it does not give a full representation of the efforts by all who enter which I feel would be a nice touch. This is just my opinion though others may disagree.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

isnt there a way that the armorama staff or even the guys who vote can decide what models go into what class ? dont know how you will do it though, it may be harder than i think. as i have only been a member for a short time does this happen often ?. i dont mean to offend anyone with my questions.

It's a legitimate question, at the moment it's left up to the user to determine which class they choose to compete in. The problem where there's a gray area I believe is that the two classes are "Advanced" and "Beginner/Intermediate" where people are unsure if they belong in the "Advanced" category and so choose to enter into the lower class. Something that we may consider is flipping that so that it becomes Advanced/Intermediate and Beginner, that might help, not sure. Currently the incentive is pretty strong (or should be) for people to compete in the Advanced category over the lower category due to the prizes awarded, the top 2 prizes go to the Advanced category while only 1 prize is awarded to the Beginner/Intermediate category.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 04:01 PM UTC
Darren,

Ther's a link, via a prominent graphic, on the Homepage already, it's a set feature in the mid-top right. It links to the dedicated DMOM thread which describes the contest, includes a link to the Contest galleries, etc. It's been up for months since we did the contest split into the new categories. Hasn't done much to increase voting...may have increased viewing, not sure, that's a lot harder to track. I personally would love to see more people vote, enter, and generally participate in the Contest but, for a variety of reasons, the number stays generally the same month over month. It's not suffering, pretty stable in fact, and a reflection of the users vs. visitors count more than anything else I think.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Darren,

Ther's a link, via a prominent graphic, on the Homepage already, it's a set feature in the mid-top right. It links to the dedicated DMOM thread which describes the contest, includes a link to the Contest galleries, etc. It's been up for months since we did the contest split into the new categories. Hasn't done much to increase voting...may have increased viewing, not sure, that's a lot harder to track. I personally would love to see more people vote, enter, and generally participate in the Contest but, for a variety of reasons, the number stays generally the same month over month. It's not suffering, pretty stable in fact, and a reflection of the users vs. visitors count more than anything else I think.

I apologize as I thought that was a link for people entering the competition not a voting link as well.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2007 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem where there's a gray area I believe is that the two classes are "Advanced" and "Beginner/Intermediate" where people are unsure if they belong in the "Advanced" category and so choose to enter into the lower class. Something that we may consider is flipping that so that it becomes Advanced/Intermediate and Beginner, that might help, not sure.

Ive sort of been against the idea of splitting the competition into two classes from the beginning, but in hind-sight I can see its a positive move to encourage newer/less experienced modellers by giving them a platform to compete against similar standards.
I see the problem as a difination of "intermediate". Considering the Osprey modelling series is aimed at intermediate and up, should models of this calibre be grouped together with beginners?
I believe your suggestion, to be a much better alternative, Bill. Looking at the beginner/intermediate class this month, there are some models there that would have no problems competing in the advanced class. As the standard is so high, we´re gonna be back at step 1 again ... beginners may feel the standard is too high for them to compete with, in their own class.
 _GOTOTOP