Hosted by Darren Baker
Unditching Beams
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 04:06 AM UTC
Does anyone know what kind of wood the unditching beam on the rear of the T-55 is made of? I've looked at several references and can't really tell. I'm guessing a hardwood that doesn't rot easily. Also,the beam in the kit seems to have a texture that simulates bark. Is this correct? I would think the bark would be removed/fall off after a period of time.
Thanks ,
Cob
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 05:56 AM UTC
hi , the log is pine and when new does have the bark but as you point out it soon comes off cheers ian
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
The ditching beams were field modifications, and whatever was handy that would do the job would be used. Pine trees, birch trees, any tree that would yield a log of reasonable diameter and strength would be put to use. That's one reason the T-34's and other Soviet tanks had the two-man saws as part of the pioneer equipment. Cut one if you thought it would be handy, use until it couldn't be used anyomre, then do another one if the opportunity presented itself.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know what kind of wood the unditching beam on the rear of the T-55 is made of? I've looked at several references and can't really tell. I'm guessing a hardwood that doesn't rot easily. Also,the beam in the kit seems to have a texture that simulates bark. Is this correct? I would think the bark would be removed/fall off after a period of time.
Thanks ,
Cob

That's one part of the kit that I left off. I had to modify the mounting brackets though.

But, if I were to do another (and I will!) I would replace the kit plastic log with the real thing. I like to use real 'logs' for this. A trip into a local stand of trees should produce some nice replacements. Just look down!

Steve
 _GOTOTOP