_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Long Tom M59 155mm cannon AFV (AF3509)
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 01:04 PM UTC
hi guys here's my long tom project..made it early this year and finished it recently....well i'm looking for a tractor to go with..hobby boss has a coming kit soon to release. hope i can get one for the cannon.

Shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS i at 2007-05-08

Shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS i at 2007-05-09

Shot with Canon DIGITAL IXUS i at 2007-05-09

enjoy viewing..hope you like 'em...!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 02:47 PM UTC
Great looking Long Tom. She will look really good behind the M4 HST. Good job.
PSullivan
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 05:58 AM UTC
Ed,

What a great looking model. I was particularly impressed with the weathering and higlights on the barrel and trail arms. Did you use an air brush or drybrushing? Also, what color did you use to highlight?

I have become interested in artillery kits as of late and have both the AFV long tom and 8" howitzers. Having been away from the hobby such a long time and before starting one of these kits, I pulled out a very old model of the Italieri 155 howitzer as a way of building something OOB and improving my painting and weathering skills. WRONG! After a member directed to a sight with photos of the 155, I realized just how inaccurate the Italieri kit is. I spent many hours trying to scratch build different details
but there were just too many. I've got the gun assembeled, painted and have started with washes and drybrushing, but it still looks pretty bland.
That being said, I'm determined to finish this beast before moving on to one of the better kits. Any advice would be welcome!

As an aside, I've noticed from reference photos I have, that AFV Club seems to have used post war howitzers for their kits. War photos show the carrige and trail with civilian style tires and the is a pulley on the arched plate over the recoil assembly to pull the barrel into the firing position. Post war photos show this deleted.

Paul
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well i'm looking for a tractor to go with..hobby boss has a coming kit soon to release. hope i can get one for the cannon.

N ote that the first Hobby Boss M4 HST is set up for the 90mm & 3" guns. There will be a version later that is set up for the 155 & 8". Just make sure you get the right one.

Paul
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Monday, October 08, 2007 - 02:44 PM UTC
thanks everyone for the kind words,tips and comments. i have the italeri's howitzers..painting differs from my other kits. though it was originally olive green in plastic..i still sprayed it with flat black as primary coat. then added chalk and water to produce spots.

next when the chalk dries..it's ready for the second coat. you can choose..nuetral grey or dark yellow as your second coat. mine was dark yellow..actually any light color will do. after the second coat. the final color can be applied..matt olive green mixed with flat black to high light the details and niches of the howitzers. concentrate on the details and leave the larger area with lighter shade.

chipp-off the areas with chalk to expose the first coat of paint..then drybrush the edges and other parts using metallic grey or silver..this to simulate wearing and tearing of the cannon due to usage,exposure to extreme weather.

i hope this will help..thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP