Hosted by Darren Baker
What 1/35 truck kits have engines?
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC
Hey, all! I am tossing about the idea of scratching an AFV interior+ engine, and I know that the engine needs to be completely fabricated. Anybody tell me which big truck kits have I-6, V-6, or V-8 engines included, turbo or not? I'm looking to acquire bits and pieces to serve as the basis for making the powerplant I need. Oh, I suppose that 1/32 civvie trucks might also be of use here; anybody know about them? I'm clueless about that side of the modeling realm. Thanks for any suggestions.
Greg
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
one of the 2.5 tons has one Italeri maybe?? other than that there's the Inline 6 from Verlinden.... and some other Resin AM engines as well. CMK? does one for the 5 M939 series?.............
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC
I think that you need to decide just what AFV that you're going to build first. Most truck engines have very little in common with tank engines. Another comment is that there are resin engines and interiors available for many of the more common AFV's, at least very good starting places for super-detailing, and possibly converting to another AFV.
Norm Samuelson
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 08:25 AM UTC
Ditto to the above. Tell us what you are building and we can help you better.

Also, it is the Tamiya 2 1/2 ton CCKW that includes and engine, Italeris does not.

Many other trucks have good negines as well, as do some AFV kits (Academy's M113s come to mind) that may be usable for your purpose.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 09:09 AM UTC
The Trumpeter Zil 157K has a fiarly decent engine. Probably not good for your purposes with the possible exception of a tankette.
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC
One more comment regarding tank engines: many began life as aircraft engines. Examples include the Ford V-8 used in Shermans, the radial Continental used in Shermans, and the engines in Churchills (these were a V-8 using parts rejected for RR Merlin aircraft engines). I've also read that the engine in the T-34 began as an aircraft engine design.
The engines used in some Stuart tanks were paired Cadillacs, and the diesels used in Shermans were paired GM bus engines. These are both available as resin detail kits.
One of the most elaborate engines used was the Chrysler used in Shermans; it was actually 5 inline six cylinders assembled on a common crankcase. Again, it is available in a newly released resin set.
As noted before, I think you need to decide what you want to build first.
Norm Samuelson (again)
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 02:16 PM UTC
My Revell UNIMOG has an engine

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One more comment regarding tank engines: many began life as aircraft engines. Examples include the Ford V-8 used in Shermans, the radial Continental used in Shermans, and the engines in Churchills (these were a V-8 using parts rejected for RR Merlin aircraft engines). I've also read that the engine in the T-34 began as an aircraft engine design.

The Churchill engine had no conection with Rolls Royce or aircraft. It was powered by a 350hp Bedford twin six. You may be confusing it with the Meteor (used in Cromwells, Comets and Centurians) which was based on a Merlin but down rated specificaly for use in tanks.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 05:26 AM UTC
Ok, I'll spill the beans. I want to replicate the Cummins VT8-460 as used in the M50/51 Shermans. And this one I know was a commercial truck engine, not a specific AFV power plant like the AVDS-1790 series in the M48/60 series and Jay Leno's Blastolene Special Tankrod. So, I'm looking for bits to mix & match as well as inspire my own shaping of big hunks of styrene.
Greg
MatteBlack
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hmmm... Woud a basic engine block from say...a 1/25 scale car, be equivalent to a 1/35 truck engine?
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 06:21 AM UTC
Well, I don't build a lot of models with engines, but I really like the big engine block in the Tamiya FAMO kit. Dunno how much of it is applicable to an Israeli Sherman, but it's a sweet pile of plastic.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 08:05 AM UTC
The car engine thing might work; I also just this morning saw a 1/23 dump truck kit that might do the trick but I'm not ready (yet...) to shell out $32 for a donor that I otherwise won't build, despite the other bits that could go into the spares box. Still waiting for some more photographs to come in, so I have time to cogitate on this one.
Greg
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 05:53 AM UTC
Ooops! Should have read 1/32 dumptruck. Yeah, you've noticed that there's two of us badgering the world about this. Mike and I are sharing reference data and taking different approaches to making the engine, hoping to get something that could be offered to IDF fanatics.
Greg
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 07:21 AM UTC
Greg; Revell sells seperate 1/25 scale engines in their 'Parts Paks' series. There are four engines that I know of in the series:
427 Ford
421 Pontiac
283 Chevy
354 Cadillac

One of these might work. Wasn't the Cummins Vt8 series turbo charged?
bulldog68
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Yes, Greg and I,are taking and making the VT8-460 Scratchbuilding it in are own styles.
We thank you all for your input & help.

Yes Eric, the VT8-460 Cummins was Turbocharged.
Thanks Again.
Cheers
Mike
 _GOTOTOP