Call that a BIG gun? Trumpeter Sturer Emil
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 06:27 PM UTC
Ok

I have picked three of the better images I took a week back for publication. I am still experimenting with my camera and hopefully the final pics will look waaaaayyyy better than these.

Still here it is; take it or leave it.

Plenty has been done in the week since the pics were taken. tool handles re-washed and both the handles and jack blocks touched up and flattened with a flat coat (Pollyscale flat clear). Fighting compartment added. pastel washes undertaken on upper chassis, decals added and dirtied etc.

The road wheels have been touched up to fix up the handling wear n tear as well.

A bit more to do now and the Sturer is finished. It is very hard to weather German Grey (which is almost black, a very dark grey) vehicles in this scale well, so I used lightened glazes, polished steel dry brushing and pastel washes to gives some 3D relief. The final length of this little PanzerJaeger is around 140mm.

Hope you all like it!

cheers

Mike

guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 06:29 PM UTC
Looks nice already. Was it this dark ? Guy
tray
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi Michael!

I agree it's difficult to weather Panzer Gray, but it looks OK on your pics. My advice is that you can paint it a (not much) lighter gray, - the scale effect thing also suggests so.

Some ideas for makeing photos: if you can set the exposure compensation, try it at +1 or +2 values, your pics will be brighter, so dark details will show more. As I can see (by the shadows), one of your lights is positioned behind the model, which is not good - better put it next to your camera.

Nice model, please post more pics as you advance!

Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 03:09 PM UTC
Michael,

I have been following your build and it's starting to look really good! Like how you have payed close attention to all of the details. I can hardly wait to see when it's finished.

I especially like how you have handled all of the wooden parts (tool handles, jack blocks, flooring, etc.) Could you tell me a little about your technique?

-Eddy
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 03:41 PM UTC
Eddy

Thanks for the kind words.

I have used a technique passed on to me by several helpful blokes here and on other forums and one I have used for wooden propeller blades on several WW1 A/C builds I have done as well.

Paint the handle/jack block a buff acrylic colour, then use burnt umber oil paints straight from the tube, You can work the oils into the buff colour to lighten/darken to suit. It really does work but is very prone to wearing off!

Another tip you can use with oils (from a figure modeller) is to place an amount of oil paint onto a cardboard piece then wait a few minutes. The linseed oil carrier will be absorbed into the cardboard and the resulting colour once applied will dry matt.

Here is a link that might help further

link

cheers

Mike
mgdsign
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 686 posts
Armorama: 685 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 06:24 PM UTC
Looking very good so far Mike!!!

Your work on the tools are excellent.

I think the pictures are ok but they could be slightly brighter
and there's also a slight red tone to them.

I took the liberty to fix them, I hope you don't mind

sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 07:47 PM UTC
I do not mind at all! Thanks very much.

I have been doing some reading about the manual functions of my camera. I expect the next pics will be better

cheers

Mike
 _GOTOTOP