_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M60A1/A3 Questions on real vehicle and kits
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2003 - 10:50 PM UTC
My Hunnicut Patton book is an elder issue and ends with the M60A3. Can it be said that the M60A3 is the tip of the Patton series, apart from any modifications it underwent in foreign armies ? Or belongs the M1 series also to the Patton series and thus the M1 is the tip and
the current end of a development which began with the M26 ?

Which M60A1/A3 kits are available? There are Tamiya kits, which have a few flaws. There
are the ESCI kits which now are marketed as Italeri and Revell products. And then there are the Academy kits. From what I know, these are copies of the Tamiya kits. Is that true for all M60 kits of Academy? I recall that I once read somewhere that one kit has been newly tooled.
I noticed that late M60A3's had plate style road wheels-means they are lacking the prominent rivets and reinforcements of the earlier wheels.
Late M60A3's also have a different tracks, which have someting like "duck bills" to make it a bit wider.
M60A3's had reinforced bumpers and suspension.
Does any kit or aftermarket conversion reflect these changes?

Thanks for help!

Werner
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
The last versions of the M60 series used by the US were the M60A3TTS (Tank Thermal Sight) by the US Army and the M60A1 RISE/Passive with applique armor by the USMC. The M1 Abrams series of tanks is not part of the Patton series of tanks.

The tracks do not have any "duckbills" or extenders. I have extensive hands on experience with both the early chevron style and the T-142 with replaceable track pads. Road wheels went back to the all steel type found on M48 and M88 series vehicles. It was not uncommon to see M60A3TTS tanks with a mixture of finned aluminum wheels and all steel wheels. The only rule in their use was the inner and outer road wheel had to be the same type.

There are several 1/35 scale M60 kits available.
Tamiya (I have all of these)
M60A1 (old), not very good, motorized
M60A2 (old), same as above but only A2 in plastic
M60A3TTS (newer), turret is decent, but hull is the same with some updated details like the air filters, new tracks, also builds into a USMC M60A1 RISE/Passive
M60A1 RISE w/ERA (newer), same basic kit as above, steel road wheels now added and new figures.

All Tamiya kits have incorrect track, the center guides are in the middle of the track pad but belong between two adjoining pads. Even the new pattern tracks have this inaccuracy.

Academy: I've only got the M60A1 with D9 dozer blade and ERA. Decent kit looks like it ahs its roots from the Tamiya kit. Road wheels have a separate rubber rim. I would imagine they are all similar, but since I do not have ony other Academy M60A1s, I make that statement with reservations.

Esci: (Also boxed by AMT/Ertl and now by Italeri)
M60 Blazer (I have the AMT boxing): very good lower hull, IDF Blazer armor looks good, but I've never seen the real stuff in person. I hear the Italeri kit deletes the "extra" parts that the original kits included to make regular non-IDF M60A1s. Link & length track is pretty good, but seems kind of thin.
M60A1
M60A3TTS: very good kit, probably the best late M60 kit available.

AVOID THE TRUMPETER M60A1 AND M60A3. IT IS ALSO BOXED BY WASAN. VERY BAD COPIES OF THE TAMIYA/ACADEMY KITS. VERY BAD!

There are several detail sets to update the kits. AFV Club now makes a set of track that look very nice. Lo Models did make a decent set of T-142 tracks that were better than the original Tamiya kit tracks. Verlinden made an M60/48 update set that was highly prized 10-15 years ago. Eduard made several M60 photo etch sets, I believe they still make several of them. Barrel Depot makes several 105mm barrels.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC
I'd like to jump in with a question about the Tamiya kit .

The back side grill has the pentagon shape cut into it for the fording 'breather' tube, if you don't add the tube - what do you do with the funky open pattern on the grill?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 07:28 AM UTC
That piece had the bolt holes in it and was there when the fording gear was not present. Use the locations on the fording cover to determine where to drill the little holes. IIRC US Army tanks usually just had the empty holes there, no bolts or anything installed. I'll have to take a look at any old photos of my old A3 from back in the day.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Legend also makes some nice resin update and gear sets. I have the M-60 set and love all the the little add-ons in it. You can really doll up an M48 or M60 with these.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 09:37 AM UTC
A little clarification on the M60A3 and M60A1 w/applique armor:

The USMC did not use the M60A3, they used the M60A1 with applique armor until they received their first M1s, from Army stock, during the Gulf War.

The US Army never purchased the applique armor package, deciding to save their money for the M-1 tanks. It was tested by the Army, but not purchased.

Jeff
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC
For some real good info on the M60 in general and a pretty extensive kit list chaeck out this sight url = http://www.patton-mania.com/

Josh Aka shiryon
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:32 PM UTC
thanks for the infos, folks!

I can organize my shoppings based on them now!

regards-werner
 _GOTOTOP