_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
DIORAMA ARTICLE: Mueller's Stug III
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 01:57 PM UTC
I am about to post George Schachinger's article on his Stug III dio of Alfred Mueller's famous assault gun. This is one researched and highly detailed piece of work. Post your comments and feedback to George here.

Here is the article.

Great work George. I especially love the shot of the mechanic and the tool in his back pocket!

Cheers,
Jim
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 07:29 PM UTC
That is great work. Very, very nice and richly detailed. Love those well used road wheels.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 07:45 PM UTC
What a masterpiece you did!
I specially loved the battle damages and the painting techniques.
Keep up the excellent work (and don't mind to take about half an year to complete such beautiful pieces! )
Cheers!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 07:52 PM UTC
Simply outstanding work...marvelousness! :-)
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 08:28 PM UTC
Modeling at its best. George, you have me torn between giving up the hobby (since I will never be able to produce such beautiful pieces) or kidnapping you to my basement, where I will make you show me exactly how to reproduce the wonderful techniques you used. You really should be proud of what you accomplished. And, thank you for the terrific article. I know it's good when I find myself saying "Shit, why didn't I think of that" over and over as I read how you did it. I hope we see more of your work on display here.

Mike
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 08:29 PM UTC
Wow!!! Great work there! The painting, the figures, the tank interior. The little details like the damaged road wheels. It's the little details that make a great model better. I can relate to the builder when he says
Quoted Text

After approximately 240 hours of work time (approximately 50 of it had unfortunately furnished no useful results for the completion of the StuG III, but only an extension of my quite private vocabulary...)

Heh, I've been reasonably upset when a model I was building just wasn't turning into what I wanted!

YodaMan
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

George, you have me torn between giving up the hobby (since I will never be able to produce such beautiful pieces)

Well, I'm sure everyone thinks that about their skills. The trick is to just keep trying!

Quoted Text

or kidnapping you to my basement, where I will make you show me exactly how to reproduce the wonderful techniques you used.

This is precisely the reason Armorama exists! And if George dosen't want to give us a how-to at first, I'm sure someone will bug him until he does!

YodaMan
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 10:40 PM UTC
Thanks Yoda, for the vote of confidence. I know practice makes perfect, but man, people here produce some really high-grade stuff.

What I meant by the second part, about watching George do his thing, is about how people learn, I guess. In grade school, given a project to make paper Thanksgiving items, others would make lovely Pilgrims, turkeys, etc., and I was the guy in the back with one thumb glued to his eyelid, and the other up his "blo-hole". I just have a little trouble visualizing instructions off a written page. But, if I see something done once, I can usually duplicate the effort quite nicely. For instance, I read a number of articles on painting and weathering aircraft. I played around with a few techniques, but wasn't real happy with the results. Then I found some Video Workshop tapes by Charles Davenport, who covered the topic. Just seeing how others did it, improved my work considerably. It was the same material, just basic painting/weathering techniques, but seeing it done made all the difference for me.

I do appreciate the written tips and techniques, don't get me wrong. They get me thinking and trying new things. But sometimes I think how nice it would be to actually watch a master at work.

Mike

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But sometimes I think how nice it would be to actually watch a master at work.

Yeah I know what you mean. Sure it's easy to tell people how to do stuff, but it's a lot easier to learn if someone's there with you.

YodaMan
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 12:02 AM UTC
Outstanding work! Museum quality stuff.
Look on page 10 of the article and you will find a link to more of Georges work. It's worth a look.
Good stuff George. :-)
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 05:51 PM UTC
Hello friends!
Thank you for your positive reaction to my dio! As "mj" stated: I played around with a few techniques, but wasn't real happy with the results. it was also on me to "play". Sometimes I try two month to finish the colors of a vehicle in the desired way and on the way to the result it sometimes looks as if IŽd better throw it into the waste basket...
So my painting sometimes also consists of "recovering" bad stages of paintwork. One must knock his way trough this problems to get to a somewhat acceptable result. The problem is: how to tell others about the growing of the paintwork? My next item will be an Afrika dio about the L.R.D.G. (next year?)
In the meantime visit:
WikingerŽs Panzermodellbau or:
Die Luftwaffe im Modell (German "Luftwaffe" in models)
 _GOTOTOP