Hosted by Darren Baker
Field Artillery Mess Truck Kitchen WIP
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 05:50 AM UTC
As the final build in my collection of vehicles from my first unit, 1st Bn, 2nd Field Artillery, in Germany in the early 1970's, I'm doing the battery mess truck, which was a field kitchen mounted in the back of the mess section's 2 1/2 ton truck. The truck won't be a problem, since it's pretty much a standard AFV M35 build, so I'm doing the kitchen first.

(Now if anybody knows where I can get three field stoves in 1/35 before I go to all the trouble to scratch build those................)

After these are painted wood color, they'll be covered with OD colored "tarp" on the outside,and the entire unit mounted in the back of the truck, which will also have a folding platform on the side next to the serving window. I will leave the roof unglued so the inside can be viewed.

Tom
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 07:24 AM UTC
The build-up looks like it is coming along well. I'll be watching this one. Keep us posted.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:59 AM UTC
You F.A. folks must of been different we never had none of these things.
Always a Mess Tent.

Looks pretty good tho.
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:20 PM UTC
Wow, looking good Tom. Always impressed by the folks who scratchbuild, maybe some day!
Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Tim
TomO
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:00 PM UTC
(Now if anybody knows where I can get three field stoves in 1/35 before I go to all the trouble to scratch build those................)

Resicast makes a nice set with 3 field stoves, RESICAST 35184 - 1/35 RANGE FIELD KITCHEN FOR GMC. See Mission Models
bulldog68
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 04:01 PM UTC
Tom,
LOOKING GOOD!!......I think your doing a great job of it.
Keep up the GREAT work.

Cheers.
Mike.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 05:00 PM UTC
She looks great Tom, excellent scratchbuilding on the hinges and latches. What did you use for the drawer handles? I remember those years back during AT’s, bought a pack of smokes off of one once.

Joe
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What did you use for the drawer handles?
Joe

Believe it or not, they are from the Academy "AFV Tank Supplies II " set #1383 and were originally intended to be the handles for the British Fuel cans! I originally bought the set for the mermite cans and the cold drink coolers and realized they would make perfect drawer handles.

Quoted Text

Probably because we were an SP unit, it made more sense to have the kitchen in the back of the truck, so that if we had to march order there was a lot less to pack up to move. Somebody must have liked the idea, because the MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer) is a similar concept.

TomO, thanks for the great tip! That looks like exactly what I need, and I just placed the order. It appears there are three stoves which is what there should be, plus perhaps some additional accessories. I'm sure I could have scratch built them, but this will save a TON of time.

Tom
Removed by original poster on 10/16/07 - 18:09:10 (GMT).
unprofor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:12 PM UTC
Resicast M1937 Range Field Kitchen, here's my build:
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/19633/10_001.jpg

regards,Patrick
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 03:56 AM UTC
Patrick, very nice!!! I especially like the weathering on the ladder at the back of the truck bed! How much of the extra things in the diorama (other than the field ranges) comes with the Resicast set, or is it just the stoves? Also, do the stoves include the burner unit which sits in the bottom compartment of the stove, and are stoves molded all opened up as you have them depicted in the diorama, or can you close the lids on some of them? I am really glad to find these and they look very nice!!!

(Technically, the ranges that we had were a slightly different and newer one, the M59 but the only significant difference is rather than a two piece folding top, the cover on the M59 is hinged in the back and is actually removeable and can be turned upside down and used as a large pan, but these are MUCH better than starting from nothing!!)

BTW, now that I've found these, what about some metal "garbage cans" and Immersion Heaters? Anybody make anything like that??

Tom
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Probably because we were an SP unit, it made more sense to have the kitchen in the back of the truck, so that if we had to march order there was a lot less to pack up to move. Somebody must have liked the idea, because the MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer) is a similar concept.

[/quote]

True we stayed in the same place most of the time but in FT Rucker we had to move 4 times in 5 days forgot what we called that.
Besides %^$$#((*&^&. ;-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:18 PM UTC
I'll just echo the comments - great job.
Sorry no idea where to find the stoves.
 _GOTOTOP