_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
2 M51's in Dio
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 368 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:51 AM UTC
OK, this started out as a simple build of the Academy M51 which then grew into adding the DML Premium Edition M51 and an old MastersChoice (old Verlinden?) damaged BRDM-2. I also wanted to try and improve upon my ability to build a dio. All previous attempts with Celluclay were disasters. So after seeing an article here that showed step by step, here are my results. The kits are OOTB with the following exceptions; The Academy kit muzzlebrake was tossed out and the 2nd MB in the DML kit was modified and installed. PE hatch periscopes were added from an Aber M50 set. I screwed up the DML spare road wheels so I had to make 2 of the mounting plates from a photo. Both M2's are modified using the Armorscale barrel sets. The figures are from the Academy kit with heads by Hornet. The BRDM was only a resin hull, Nick Cortese graciously sent me the turret, wheels, & misc. parts to add.
I was going for a slightly damaged, wheels burnt off, abandoned look. Rust All weathered the wheels. Both M51's are weathered slightly different, different washes, different tools. The dust trail is a cottonball unraveled and painted, with the wind blowing from 1 side of the vehicle to the other. I know I am perhaps breaking a rule by placing 2 different manufacturers kits together, but I think it looks pretty cool. Well I know I missed the holes for the towhooks on the DML kit, but I am anxious to start on other projects. What do you think?

fireontheway
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:00 PM UTC
I apologise to all on the site for hosing this forum up, any help from the Staff would be greatly appreciated.
Lee-Enfield
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 222 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 05:47 PM UTC
Tim, speaking personally, I like what you've done. And who says you can't put two mfr's models in the same dio? I strongly doubt that you'll find two identical tanks side by side on the battlefield. Different crews will have different stowage preferences, some things will have been changed during maintenance or repairs... Looks good, man!
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:44 PM UTC
Thanks Gary, I appreciate your help. Thanks for the comments Lewis, I agree with what you said. That was the basis for what I did, no 2 vehicles will ever be identical.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 05:04 AM UTC
I like almost everythinig here, especially the active suspension. The one thing that doesn't look right is the dust cloud. It looks to be a different, almost darker color that the ground around it. Dust should be significantly lighter than the ground since there's much more air around the individual particals of sand. It also looks too thick and breaks off too suddenly. Minimally it should be transluscent at the upper edges. Other than that, IMHO, this looks fine.
fireontheway
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 08:58 AM UTC
Al, Thanks for your comments. The dust signature is tricky. I did spray it a lighter shade But I agree it needs to be lighter still. I did not want the cotton to look like a cotton ball just pulled apart. I was trying to recreate what I have seen when around armored vehicles moving through dirt or sand. At almost any instant the dust cloud can take on any shape, getting lighter in color and less dense as the vehicle moves on past. But the look I was trying for was a vehicle moving at speed and the dust cloud rolling out from the track. Trial and error. I just did not want to convey the image of movement with only the antenna.
This post was removed.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 11:10 AM UTC
the m51's look superb!

they look like there on exersise or somethin

keep it up

DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 02:40 PM UTC
Nice job on putting DML and Academy M51's together in a convincing scene.
Darryl
 _GOTOTOP