_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
PHOTOS: MODEL
Tiger II
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 04:56 PM UTC
Tony Clark's (footsie) build of a DML 1/35 Tiger II, winner of the September Dragon Model of the Month Judges'' Award, has been added to the On Display gallery.

Tiger II On Display

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 06:26 PM UTC
very nice... i like the weathering and rust streak effect specially. thanks for sharing.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:30 PM UTC
Nice build, interesting to see you have chosen to leave some areas in primer, gives the impression of the hasty assembly of German tanks at the end of the war, well done.
Nice subtle weathering too, a great build.

James
footsie
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 305 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:44 PM UTC
thanks guys, thats what i wanted, a sort of rushed out of the factory and straight into battle look. now i just have to think of a setting for it?. thanks again,
Brokeneagle
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 09:43 PM UTC
Tony, what a great twist on the king tiger genre.
This has come up spot on - I am in the middle of one myself using the red primer as you have. I'm not a big fan of Kingys as they usually come out a bit boring but yours is one of the best renditions I have seen. Fantastic and inspiring - I might get around to finishing mine now.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:00 PM UTC
I wholeheartedly agree on the craftmanship used in creating this model and the finish. That looks great, although my personal feeling about ruststreaks in general is that they are categorically overdone on vehicles in use.

Further, being a Tiger-B buff, I can't help but point out that even at the end of production, Tiger-Bs were still being finished as ordered, including the batch of last 8.

xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:31 AM UTC
Tony! This Tiger is absolutly MARVELOUS!!!! Bravo!! I hope one day I can crank out a project that looks that good! Its eye watering!
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:34 AM UTC
thanks ian, dave, although this was my second attempt on the paint job. did a ambush scheme at first but didnt like it, so i went for the rushed and ready look, i,m happy you like it , all the kind comments from you guys has really inspired me for my next project, i know i have said this a FEW times but many thanks!
panzerkampfw
Visit this Community
Busan, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
how did you get that color green ?? wowo its amazing .. one of my favorite king tiger models for sure
SSSiim
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:08 AM UTC
A superb model and a great subject!
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 08:28 AM UTC
Very nice model Tony, very nice weathering
rinaldi119
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hi Tony - I can see why this Tiger II had won the contest. I find the color combination very appealing and extremely well done. I must point out though, main gun barrels were delivered in a very dark grey primer which was heat resistent, vs. the red primer used for the rest of the vehicle. This has only been recently discovered so I think this is just a minor point and does not distract from your beautiful model.

Very inspiring color scheme.

Best,

Mike
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:06 AM UTC
hi mike, yep your right. but by the time i found this out the model was about finished and i knew if i started repainting things i would mess it up. but you are right ! patrick, the colours were a base coat of tamiya jn green then nato green then field grey with yellow green and a bit of buff, siim and miloslav you have no idea how much you and the other guys comments have motivated and inspired me onto my next project, but the really cool thing is to have other modellers from all over the (WORLD) appreciate my efforts, i know this sounds lame but its just as good as winning thank you !
nolifoto
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 02:26 PM UTC
It is really a great build. Weathering is very well done. I just want to ask if it is really green or could it be my monitor?
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 02:30 PM UTC
Hey Tony! Great job on this Tigger! Congrats on your judges' choice! Now ya got a new "zimmed" Tigger to play with as well!
Great execution and inspiration on this one! Never seen one depicted like it, and it's quite a looker! KARL "the doog"
Visit this Community
Slovenia
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
Tony
That is great, I realy like your beast
Can you tell me which colur did you used for red primier.

By
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:55 PM UTC
NOLI ! yep it is green, with varying shades of green an a green base with a hint of green in the weathering, hmmm maybe i went overboard on the green ? LOL , KARL, i wonder if any zimmed tigers were green? the thing is i have done lots of allied stuff in olive or khaki drab but i cant get the same effect , i suppose if you shoot long enough you will hit the mark at least once, eh ? GREGOR, the base colour is red oxide primer with a light coat of tamiya red brown, then red brown, with a touch of green yellow, and buff,
nolifoto
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 04:44 PM UTC
It's ok. I just want to know if it was really intentional that you painted it green. It looks great ! Reminds me of Kermit when he sang "It aint easy being green" . Look forward to seeing more of your build.
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 02:18 AM UTC
Fantastic! A wholly green Tiger II is quite unusual. I wonder whether any Tiger I late/final has been painted like this and doesn't have zimmerit...
AlexanderK
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:47 AM UTC
Great looking Tiger B !
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 07:18 AM UTC
Tony -

Can't say much more that hasn't been said...other than AWESOME! Very nicely done, you've inspired a lot of folks with this one! Cheers!

Congrats again!

Tim
footsie
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 02:50 PM UTC
thanks GIACOMO, ALEXANDER,TIM i,m happy you like it, as for the colour hmmm it may not have existed but who knows? there was some thinking went into it tho, trying to find a scheme that could have been used and looked different ! not the normal tiger ll camo,s but something that makes you think, well it may not be 100% right but it looks and feels as tho it might have been real ! if you know what i mean. comments like yours and the other guys have only motivated me to try and do better. if i can ! thank you very much for all your kind comments. cheers
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 03:08 PM UTC
The finish on this tank is one of the best i have seen. The different paints ie primer/base gives the model alot of character. The weathering and dirt is spot on, not overly done. I like the extra attention to where the track armour was bolted on. Awesome build!

cheers
kodiak
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 10:14 PM UTC
Nice, well built and attractive model, one will keep looking at it for hours.

Cheers.
Adib.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 11:55 PM UTC
Great job on the King Tiger, Tony. As already pointed out by others the "straight from the factory to the front" look works very well. Hopefully you will share your next project with us as well.

Thanks for sharing
 _GOTOTOP