_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
US Army/Coalition Markings
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
I've had some requests for information regarding the various markings on US armor. Here is some information:
There is a US Army standard number/chevron system that began in 1989-90. The direction of the chevron denoted what platoon the tank belonged to. It went something like this (I could be wrong, just trying from memory now):
^ was 1st platoon
> was 2nd platoon
V was 3rd platoon
The number system gave each maneuver battalion in the division a number (the first number) and each company in the battalion used the second number. Therefore a tank from the battalion given the number "4" would have tanks numbered 41 for an A Co. tank, 42=B Co., 43=C Co., 44=D Co., 40=HQ Co. (HHC).
This number added with the adjacent chevron would tell you which platoon the tank was:
ex: 43> was a 2nd Plt, C Co. tank

The "^" chevron sat on top of the number like a hat and the "V" chevron was directly under the number.

The HQ tank section of a tank company did not use a chevron (CO's and XO's tank) nor did the Battalion HQ tanks.
prbesch
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi Sabot,
Last night the 3rd armor sure did shine! Markings and external baggage is very interesting to observe. Do you record any of Fox or CNN`s broadcasts as it occurs or will you wait untill the conflict is over.
Pete
Bravo21
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 11:28 AM UTC
Rob, your memory is on the money. The number indicates the company, 1=Alpha, 2=Bravo, 3=Charlie, 4=Delta. The Battalion Commander's tank bore 66 and the XO's was 65. The chevron indicated the platoon and was positioned around the company number in the following clock positions: 1st platoon chevron was at 12:00, 2nd platoon at 3:00 and 3rd platoon at 6:00. In the following example, # indicates the company number.

1st Platoon:
^
#

2nd Platoon:
#>

3rd Platoon:
#
v

For instance, my platoon was 2nd platoon Bravo company, so my 4 tanks sported 2>. As far as I know, this is still standard Army numbering.

I miss my M1A1s.
 _GOTOTOP