_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stuart M5A1 Tracks question for Stuart Freaks
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi peeps.

Found a mostly compIete Tamiya M5A1 Stuart I was working in storage.

I wish to complete the build. Hey I actually would like to complete any model soon

But a couple probs. The AA mg and one of the rubber band track links are MIA.

Can I use rubber links from the Academy Honey ( would purchase one if this is an option)
I believe they come with links and rubber bands...

Any ideas or a CHEAP way to replace the 30 cal aa mg with?

Are there instances where they were left or taken off?

Cheers, Michael

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
Yes you can use the tracks from the honey and I would suggest you do ,because if you look at the tracks in the M-5 kit you will notice that the end connecters are in the middle of the track instead of holding the next pad in place ....It a quick and easy way to make your M-5 alot better and on top of that you can still build the Honey with the link by links(BLAH!)

Rick
p.s. there are lots of 30 cals around to replace the missing kit parts too...
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 07:52 AM UTC
Thanks, Rick. Here is the link to the MSN site with a couple pics of this noobs first attempt in awhile

http://groups.msn.com/armorama/billysworksinprogress

Cheers, Michael
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:21 AM UTC
I think TAMIYA has an duece and a half accessory set. I think it has a 30. Cal. Plus you may be able to put some of the stuff on the tank, gas cans, barrels, etc.
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
I think TAMIYA has an duece and a half accessory set. I think it has a 30. Cal. Plus you may be able to put some of the stuff on the tank, gas cans, barrels, etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm i think those are 50 cal guns but thanks I think verlinden has a set out on the cheap and I'll keep going though my parts box...

Man I hate moving, I always lose something, including my mind

Cheers, Michael
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
Hi

If you buy the Academy Honey or M3A1 kits you'll get an extra set of tracks and extra guns. You will have all the extras you need for that old Tamiya kit.

Cheers
Andy
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you buy the Academy Honey or M3A1 kits you'll get an extra set of tracks and extra guns. You will have all the extras you need for that old Tamiya kit.

Awesome ! Thanks Andy ! Now I really have a reason to go by Military Hobbies new store front

Cheers, Michael
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hi Michael.

If you get the Honey, remember the interior is wrong, the gun mount is wrong, and there are other nagging problems. Of course you also get more extra parts that way! The M3A1 is supposed to be more accurate (the Honey has the M3A1 interior etc, that's why they are wrong). I'm working on the Honey. It's got decent fit, although the suspension is very fiddly. I'm trying to add some decent interior details so I can leave the hatches open, and have a crew in the tank. We'll see!

Cheers
Andy
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi Andy ...I hate to burst your bubble about the M-3 a1 but if you build it straight from the box ,the interior is wrong too...Academy has tried to cut corners and in doing so did not do an actual M-3a1 but an M-3 hybrid...if you want to do a real M-3a1 you have to round off the plate in the back ..if you do that then the interior is okay if you don't well the interior is the same as an M-3 and does not have the turret basket...Oh and the only decals that are right for the kit as is are those for the soviet M-3s ...Always something to do!! Oh one thing that is backwards on the honey kit (I don't know if they fixed it on the M-3a1) is the shovel . Have fun with this kit it is a nice build!

Rick
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
Hi Rick

There is no bubble to burst! I haven't (and won't) buy the M3A1 because I figured there were going to be problems. It sounds like the AFV Club M3A3 is a much better kit, albeit a lot more expensive.

For Michael's needs, I think the M3 or M3A1 could be a good purchase for spares to fix the Tamiya kit, and to get a decent kit to build.

The pegs on the mounts for the bogie trucks sticking into the interior is a little pet peeve of mine!

It's too bad Academy did such a mixed job on the M3 series thus far.

Andy
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:08 AM UTC
hey Andy ..I can't wait to see the new M3a3 but did you hear the price of the damn thing !!! I have seen it quoted at over $70.00 Canadian !!! Say what??? I guess I'll only buy one instead of 2 ...lol

Rick #:-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:08 AM UTC
hey Andy ..I can't wait to see the new M3a3 but did you hear the price of the damn thing !!! I have seen it quoted at over $70.00 Canadian !!! Say what??? I guess I'll only buy one instead of 2 ...lol

Rick #:-)
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
I know.

I think Squadron's prerelease price is about $34. That comes out to a cool >$50CDN.

Blech.

Of course it has a metal barrel, lots of goodies etc.

Andy
 _GOTOTOP