_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Lacrosse Mobile Launcher
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 06:09 AM UTC
I've taken my first step into a larger world... :-)

Went to the hobby shop today with my Dad. I'd almost decided on buying the Academy Achilles tank destroyer when the Revell Lacrosse Missile and Mobile Launcher caught my eye.
The price was right: $12.79. :-)
I don't know how much work the kit needs, but the subject really grabbed ahold of my interest. I did a search and found that Gunnie's site has lots of info on this vehicle... will read it all after lunch.

From what I can gather, the kit scale is 1/34?
How much scrathcbuilding will I need to do for a well-detailed model?
Gunnie, have you built this yet or is it still in the planning phases?

YodaMan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 12:40 PM UTC
This is an old kit, older than me. It is in 1/40th scale and Revell did quite a few kits in this scale that have been recently (within the last 5 years) reissued. Also floating around is the T-34, Deuce and a Half, 105mm towed howitzer, a few other kits from this series that are more rare are a Jeep, M20 Armored Car, Scissors Bridge (AVLB), M56 Scorpion (SPAT), AAA gun and M4 High Speed Tractor. Probably some more that I've forgotten, I've got the Lacrosse, M20, AVLB, SPAT, T-34, Deuce, Howitzer and the AAA gun. Neat old kits that will take a lot of work to bring up to modern acceptance. Best thing to do is just try to build them OOB using basic modeling skills, putty and sheet styrene backings.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 06:13 PM UTC
Didn't this line also have the HAWK system and a whole series of the major surface to surface missile systems? I recall the Honest John, and some smaller kits...

Anyhow, yup, they need lots of lovin to make into competition quality, but OOB witha good paint job, they still build nice. I have the old 2 1/2 truck that still has weathed the test of time, well, to my eyes anyhow, but I built it WAAAYY too many years ago...Along with that old Monoogram Sherman W/calliope...yeeesh.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn't this line also have the HAWK system and a whole series of the major surface to surface missile systems?

No, I think this was part of Renwal's 1/32 scale line of kits. I think it made a Revell appearance along with some of their History Maker's line.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 04:13 PM UTC
Yeah, the History maker's line is waht I was thinking of. I have a handfull of the kits, would like to do a nice scene like the artillery rocket park they have at Ft. Sill, off in a corner. But those old kits tend to cost way too many $$$ for this model builder.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
YM - I'm still working on my 1:35th scale M4 LaCrosse Missile Launcher conversion of the AFV Club Deuce - one of my personal favorites. Progress has slowed down since I joined Armorama, however. Spending too much time on the Internet curbs production. I'll be addressing that in the future Thanks for mentioning my pages in development, this is a difficult vehicle to research and document.

Eventually, I'll have both Launcher/Transporters modeled.

The old Revell kit isn't bad, and looks like it would be fun to model. The old Renwall kit leaves a bit more to be desired, but for a straight OOB buildup, not bad either. If there's some technical information you need - that I haven't uploaded to my pages yet - Private Message me.

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP