_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A1 PE help
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:28 AM UTC
I'm starting an M1A1 with mine plow and I have the Eduard PE set to detail it. However, this is my first time with PE on armor (I've done some with sjips).

Are there any reviews or articles that show how to go about this? For example, the PE grills part 37. Do you remove the molded on grills first? The instructions don't seem to indicate that you should. However, it looks like it would be too thick if you don't. The instructions show stacking two grills with tiny little spacers (part 65).

If you do remove them, what is the best way to get them off and not damage the surrounding plastic?

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
First of all, you probably do remove them, as they are not very thick. I would sand them off a little bit at a time to make sure to not damage the rest.. Then use steel wool to smooth the sand marks down. Make sure when you sand the edge of the vanes to not sand too deeply and check for straight, square edges. I do not know of any articles for M1 pe.

Rob
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 08:52 AM UTC
I'm assuming you are talking about the Tamiya kit. You do not remove the existing screens, the ones in the Eduard PE set sit a little above existing screens and it creates a sense of depth. As far as a how-to guide, Eduard's site has some info on the basics. You can find that at www.edaurd.cz At the top of the page click info, then click Working with Photetched Parts.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
Illini,

Keep in mind it is completely up to you to decide what PE parts you wish to use or NOT use! Sometimes those sets can get a bit crazy with so many details. Don't feel that you need to use each little bit.

Lots of times I choose what is most important to me and leave some of the other things off.

In some case you may find that the kit detail is actually better for the vehicle you are modeling. Make sure to check references, etc.

And, if it's your first PE attempt, some of the smaller details may provide much frustration.

Just use tiny ammounts of CA (I keep a drop on a peice of wax paper) and don't expect to get it done overnight!

Steve

PS - I'm in the final stages of building that same kit and didn't use a PE set. But, I did make some of my own out of brass and some PE screens... But, I'm going to be adding lots of stowage!

_GOTOTOP