_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best tool for Stryker slat armor?
paxtonm
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 02:11 AM UTC
Does anyone have a suggestion for a tool to use to bend the rectangular post pieces for the Eduard Stryker PE set? I am afraid to even take the pieces off until I decide what to use. The posts can not be bend using a Etch Mate or Hold & Fold except for the first bend.

Thanks,

Michael
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi, I use Etch Mate.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 06:55 AM UTC
Actually, you can use your Hold And Fold to do the first and third bends. Then do the middle bend over a piece of appropriately sized square plastic stock to close the box. Tweak it and sharpen the corner with small needle nose pliers.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 02:52 PM UTC
If its a closed 4-sided item, typically you can get each fold started and 'cut' cleanly on the hold n fold bending it slightly, then make the bends you can with it, and use something like the aforementioned square stock or suitible buck to finish it off. The last incomplete bend will follow much more cleanly if you start it first.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 02:02 AM UTC
Mikey,
Another alternative is to use K & S square tubing in place of the kit parts. Cut it with a razor saw and then clean up with a file & scraping with an X-Acto knife. Less work & less patience is required...

When are you outta here??? Still bound for the same AO???

R5 Ancient
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 05:25 AM UTC
Thats an even better idea! Looks perfect and probably makes a stronger mounting point
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 06:27 AM UTC
Kevin,
Once I saw the Eduard PE, using K & S square tubing was my first thought. It also works good on those M1 front skirts too... Now, I just need to figure out how to solder those slat sections...
John
paxtonm
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 05:09 AM UTC
John,

I am leaving after the first of the year, and am busy in train-up now. Same AO as last time, but better facilities! Great idea on the square stock, and I have enjoyed your photos in both the Stryker and half-track issues for AMPS.

Michael
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 06:00 AM UTC
Mike,
Glad that you have enjoyed the pics... You might see some of your former vehicles in my next layout. Going to Speicher... Good on you, we moved there about a month after you rotated. They supposedly have a good model club there for the downtime. Once you get there, let me know what the specific needs are and I will see what I can do with the AMPS crowd for pinpointing some stuff.

John
 _GOTOTOP