_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
magic tracks
jrrivc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Armorama: 153 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 04:59 AM UTC
Would some one please explain to me why there are two different colors on Dragons magic tracks . They look the same and there is no indication on the instruction sheet that they should be alternated during assembly, and what is the best method to assemble them.thanks
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would some one please explain to me why there are two different colors on Dragons magic tracks . They look the same and there is no indication on the instruction sheet that they should be alternated during assembly, and what is the best method to assemble them.thanks

Frank.

I think i'll need a bit more info (i.e. what kit) before i can answer that. Try to be a bit less vague.

Andy
JamesDean
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 05:10 AM UTC
Usually means there are left and right side ones. The difference can be extreemly subtle sometimes (like the pin on the outer side is a fraction longer).
jrrivc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 05:25 AM UTC
Andy the kit i'm refering to is Dragons Pz. Kpfw.IV Ausf. G ( #6363 ) This the kit that has two different colors
jrrivc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Usually means there are left and right side ones. The difference can be extreemly subtle sometimes (like the pin on the outer side is a fraction longer).

Being that subtle, would it make any diff. which side is which. seeing as how there is no indication on the package as to which is R or L , and the sheet is just as vague!!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
Two different color Magic Tracks means the tracks are "handed". Left hand side and right hand side of the vehicle. In the instructions, on the track assembly step, there is a diagram which shows you which side is right and which side is left. Why they don't identify them by "light gray" and "dark gray" I don't know; that would be much better.
To assemble glued indy tracks, here's what I do -
Leave the drive sprocket and idler loose so you can slip them off when the track is dry.
1) Use a tailor's cloth measuring tape to measure the length of the track run and add in any sag you want.
2) Clamp a yard stick to the front edge of your work table.
3) Mark out the length of the track run with two pieces of masking tape.
4) Use Testor's cement in the black needle nosed bottle. This gives you about an hour to assemble the track run and form it on the running gear.
5) Assemble the track run up against the edge of the yardstick to keep the run straight. Periodically, use a ruler to push against the other side, then down on top, to keep everything in alignment. Using a pair of flat nose tweezers, grab a link by the guide horn and go at it. Glue, link, glue, link.....
6) When you have the run done, carefully pick it up and thread it onto the suspension. Meet the ends on the bottom and tape them toghether. Place on flat surface. Use a brush handle or similar to arrange your track sag. Let dry overnight.
7) Remove the track run with the sprocket and idlers, paint your track, and put everything back together.
I've had great success with this method and so have a lot of other guys I've shown it to. It really makes it easy. I hope this helps!
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 06:52 AM UTC
Yea I don't know why Dragon just doesnt make a "left" and "right" designation for their tracks. Park a picture of the tank and then diagram which ones are which. They go through all this nice packaging and adjective filled paper inserts describing every piece of their kits and yet leave something so simple out.

Oh well, I guess Dragon has to much on their hands between trying to make the next Panzer IV variant and trying to dig up plans for some super tank that was to enter Wehrmacht service in 1948.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two different color Magic Tracks means the tracks are "handed". Left hand side and right hand side of the vehicle. In the instructions, on the track assembly step, there is a diagram which shows you which side is right and which side is left. Why they don't identify them by "light gray" and "dark gray" I don't know; that would be much better.
To assemble glued indy tracks, here's what I do -
Leave the drive sprocket and idler loose so you can slip them off when the track is dry.
1) Use a tailor's cloth measuring tape to measure the length of the track run and add in any sag you want.
2) Clamp a yard stick to the front edge of your work table.
3) Mark out the length of the track run with two pieces of masking tape.
4) Use Testor's cement in the black needle nosed bottle. This gives you about an hour to assemble the track run and form it on the running gear.
5) Assemble the track run up against the edge of the yardstick to keep the run straight. Periodically, use a ruler to push against the other side, then down on top, to keep everything in alignment. Using a pair of flat nose tweezers, grab a link by the guide horn and go at it. Glue, link, glue, link.....
6) When you have the run done, carefully pick it up and thread it onto the suspension. Meet the ends on the bottom and tape them toghether. Place on flat surface. Use a brush handle or similar to arrange your track sag. Let dry overnight.
7) Remove the track run with the sprocket and idlers, paint your track, and put everything back together.
I've had great success with this method and so have a lot of other guys I've shown it to. It really makes it easy. I hope this helps!

Yea thats pretty much what I do, and I love Magic Tracks. No they are not workable, but who cares? I'm not playing with my model, I'm displaying it.
jrrivc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being that subtle, would it make any diff. which side is which. seeing as how there is no indication on the package as to which is R or L , and the sheet is just as vague!!
jrrivc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yea I don't know why Dragon just doesnt make a "left" and "right" designation for their tracks. Park a picture of the tank and then diagram which ones are which. They go through all this nice packaging and adjective filled paper inserts describing every piece of their kits and yet leave something so simple out.

Oh well, I guess Dragon has to much on their hands between trying to make the next Panzer IV variant and trying to dig up plans for some super tank that was to enter Wehrmacht service in 1948.

you'er right! How could they miss that. !!!!!

jrrivc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 07:35 AM UTC
Matt. thanks so much for the info. that should really help out !

frank
jrrivc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 04:15 PM UTC
thanks everyone for your time and info. It'sappreciated

frank
aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 11:32 PM UTC
hey all i have an m1 aim and i didn't think the "magic tracks" where too magic!! more cleaning up than i was lead to belive. oh well if a kit was "perfect" then it wouldn't be any fun!!
jrrivc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey all i have an m1 aim and i didn't think the "magic tracks" where too magic!! more cleaning up than i was lead to belive. oh well if a kit was "perfect" then it wouldn't be any fun!!

You'er right Jason, sometimes you wish these "magic tracks" would just DISAPEAR. now that would be magic would'nt it !!!
aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 01:28 AM UTC
ratflmao thats so true frank so true!! but i guess i'd hate to be the guy who put all his work into them to read our posts and feel bad so i'll say to him! "son! could have done better , but in all its better then academy's m113 indi track's!!! " heheheeh
 _GOTOTOP