_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Compressor
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
Folks--I just put down the latest edition of FSM. In the questions section, a fellow modeler writes about securing a Sears compressor for his airbrush. Has anyone tried the commercial compressor route vice the pricey Paasche type compressors? If so, can we get some details on size, performance, and cost?
thanks
DJ
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC
Tin_Can started this thread and has good info.

http://armorama.com/forums/993&page=1

and here:

http://armorama.com/forums/883&page=1
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 03:17 AM UTC
As far as I know, you can use any type of conventional air compressor for your airbrush. Just like you can use large CO2 canisters. You just have to make sure you use a pressure control. I don't think an air brush can take more then 40 p.s.i., and who would want to anyway. I use a Badger air compressor with a pressure control and water trap. It isn't a silent one, so it drives my wife up a wall. I do not see any reason to use any of those high end compressors, with the exception of a silenced one.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
Appreciate the responses. Trust that others will chime in and let us their thoughts.
thanks again
DJ
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC
DJ,
I just bought the campbell hausfeld FP2003 at Walmart a couple of weeks ago and I am very, very happy with it. I've used it several times now and have nothing but rave reviews. Even the wife likes it because it's not that loud.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 05:16 AM UTC
Welcome Back DJ!!!! :-) How was Italy? Did you make it to Italeri? Did you bring us back an early release of their DUWK???? Many more q's later...I'll let you answer these first. LOL

Anyways, the above link from M1 leads to a nice long discussion on this matter. In fact I brought home a Sears compressor with a 2 gallon tank. Works great. One thing I learned through all this was that the air supply is only secondary to the AB. Any source will do!!! :-)

Glad to see you made it back to us here...
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
:-) Yes, I am also very happy with Campbell Compressor I bought from Home Depot last year. The compressor is better and more powerful than over-priced Badger or Testor's ones out there and I can use it for other household purposes also. I paid about $100 for it. I highly recommend it.

James
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
Italy is a dream. Forget about getting an advance on the DUKW. In boken English the best I received was "the checks in the mail" responses. I took advantage of the opportunity to go through the Battle of the Bulge area. Trust I can post some of the photos for all to view. I took a great shot of the King Tiger in the street of La Gleize were she was stopped by engine trouble in the December/January timeframe of the battle. I then went into Holland and traced the route of Operation Market Garden. Memorable experience. I took a photo of a Sherman flail tank in a superb Dutch museum. First time I ever saw one of this vehicles. Just a great place to go and apprecaite the sacrifices of so many. Of course, I made the pilgrimage to Patton's grave in Hamm, Luxembourg. Awesome. Hope to share the photos with you.
DJ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 08:16 AM UTC
Reading all of the things on this compressor made me buy one it is pretty good a little noisy at fillup but okay I guess after it fills. I use to use a co2 tank that I got from pepsi. Now what do I do with my $65.00 regulator.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now what do I do with my $65.00 regulator.

Uhh, return it? If it's better than the one on the unit you just got, you could swap em. Do they both have an air filter and moisture trap?

DJ, thats good news! I would like to see some of those pics.
Glad to hear form you.
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 09:37 AM UTC
I use a 3/4HP Coleman compressor. I pump air into the old storage tank that I put a regulator/moisture trap on and it has worked great for me for years.....I can also use it for around the house tasks as well. I bought it for like $90 at K-Mart
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:09 PM UTC
The compressor that I like to use is a small constant air compressor. I like these because even if it maxed out for pressure it will not hurt anythig , it will not blow the airbrush apart and it is easy to adjust. There are many out there just pick one. Large tanks and comercial tanks are big and bulky and you have to have a good space for it , but if you do not have a lot of room like myself then the small constantair compressor is the way to go. It is as small as a basketball or smaller quiet and cheaper. Good luck!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 06:28 AM UTC
Fellows--many thanks. I went on line and saw the Bear Air array of airbrushes. They recommend a double action brush. Paasche and Iwata seem like good deals. Has anyone used the Iwata brand? I will purchase the compressor at Wal Mart for a crummy $99. I think it is a deal and a half. Bryan many thanks for your recommendation. Now how about Iwata...
thanks
DJ :-)
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 08:22 AM UTC
Can't help you there DJ. I still my old and trusty Paasche H that I've had for about 10 years. It's easy to clean and works great. Now that I've gotten a compressor I have had plenty of time to practice and it's amazing what you can do with that old single action.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 08:42 PM UTC
Bryan--thanks for your response. I am getting the Campbell Hausfeld compressor at Wal Mart for $99. I think that is a steal. If no one responds about Iwata then I will try posting a topic. You did a great job on the M-48.
DJ
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You did a great job on the M-48.

Thanks DJ.
 _GOTOTOP