_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Info needed for T-72
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 149 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi all,
I'm planning to do a Repulican Guard T-72 from the Iran - Iraq war for the Cold War campaign and need some help to source information on that period. The kit I have to build is an Esci MBT T-72 with Iraqi markings and is a very basic kit. (I plan to build it under cover so I dont receive an airstrike ). So any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email,PM me or here.
Many thanx, Kenny.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 10:38 AM UTC
Esci took a chance and produced several Soviet armor kits prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall. Normally, we armor modelers would have jumped for joy at the kits thanking them for bringing a rough approximation out; however, the politics of the world made the real tanks available for inspection. DML jumped up and did a series of quickie T-72/80 kits, not perfect, but better than the Esci since Esci only had distant photo references to use.

My advice is build the kit well, using basic modeling skills. The more references you get, the more disappointed you will get. If you really want a good photo reference, find the Concord book by Steve Zaloga called T-72 Soviet Main Battle Tank. Looks like a Squadron in action sized book chocked full of photos. I would venture a guess and say that any of the aftermarket accessories for the T-72 would be virtually useless for the Esci kit. Good luck!
KentVH
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 11:20 AM UTC
I'm also building a T-72 for the cold war campaign but im building a cold war era tank with parade markings. You can see it (reference photo) if you go to "my selected links".
I found most of my reference surfing around the internet. Theres some decent pictures at this site, http://www.army-technology.com/projects/t72/index.html#t724.
Other than that I think that if you spent some time surfing around you can discover some good stuff. I suggest using different search engines, like do one search in Google and one in another and you might find what your looking for faster.
Good Luck!

P.S. Im using the Tamiya 1/35 T-72M1 for my entry
 _GOTOTOP