_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M41 in desert scheme?
Jaguar
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 - 04:59 PM UTC
Are there any pics of M41s in desert scheme? If so, where did it serve? Just bought the Tamiya kit. thanks.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are there any pics of M41s in desert scheme? If so, where did it serve? Just bought the Tamiya kit. thanks.

Mark---
I will go out on a limb here, but I'd be hard put to find one of her in desert camo. M-41s served with the American Army in Europe and the United States. They also were supplied to NATO, the Philippines and the Vietnamese among many others. It is a relatively easy tank to maintain, reliable and easy to operate. I would assume there are still many running around in Central America and the Pacific area. But, desert operations....outside of some ops in the Mojave I cannot bring a unit or a photo to mindthat display her in anything but forest green/OD.
DJ
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC
According to one book I have, the armies where the M41 might possibly have appeared in a desert scheme were of Ethiopia, Lebanon, Pakistan, Saudi-Arabia, Tunisia, and Turkey.
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 09:27 AM UTC
and, maybe Lebanon.
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC
Not the only one, Chile deployed some of the M41īs in the Atacama Desert, near the border with Peru and Bolivia, during the 70īs and early 80īs.

Here some pics of a distinctive camo scheme in mid 70īs, desert yellow, green and brown. In other periods, were painted overall desert yellow and in a light tan. No pics of those now, gotta search through my archives

Hope it helps

Cheers
Jaguar
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 03:22 PM UTC
DJ, Gary, Rod: Thanks for the info. It's just that I love tanks in dessert yellow. haha...

white4: Converting the M41 to an A1 version would be too much work for an inexperienced modeler like me, but I might give it a try ... nice camo, BTW

Klaus: an inspiration for a simple dio. thanks. I'm guessing "silenciador" means muffler?
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 03:57 PM UTC
Yes, it belongs to the APU.

Not that difficult to make the conversion, I did it and a few other mods to build the chilean version from the Tamiya kit some time ago (tried to build an A3 BTW), you have to give it a try. Hereīs a picture of it, not the best but I was the best I could do back then:

Cheers
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 09:13 AM UTC
I have a "Time" or "Newsweek" somewhere that illustrates a Sudanese M-41 on parade circa the very early '80s. No idea where it is, but this M-41 became the subject of one of my aborted modeling projects many years ago.

The finish was overall dark brown with an overspray of a sand/tan and green as I recall. There were also some tactical markings. I seem to remember an orange disc or similar device on the hull.

Hard to tell where this magazine is right now, but I do have it somewhere...
Jaguar
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 02:42 PM UTC
Klaus: nice model. doesn't seem like a difficult conversion too.

George: sounds interesting. keep me posted if the magazine turns up. thanks
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:23 AM UTC
Whew, that's a tough one... I know I have it somewhere, but where??? After a few moves, stuff such as that tends to go missing. I definitely know it's in a box somewhere in the garage...

As I recall the commander is in green fatigues with the Soviet-style headgear.

The photo was one of two that illustrated an article concerning nations receiving arms from both the USSR and the USA.

The other accompanying photo was of a Chinese Type 62 Light Tank which was incorrectly captioned as a T-54 or T-55. This tank had an identical color scheme.
 _GOTOTOP