_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 PE louver NEED HELP HOW TO ASSEMBLE
rasser2
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 04:06 PM UTC
I'm relatively new to serious detail modeling and need help on the best way to assemble the three pc louver for a Dragon Hummel 1/72 scale that I'm working on. I greatly appreciate any and all guidance on how to do this successfuly and what type of glue to use to hold the metal to metal. At 4:30 in the morning I gave up from eye strain and frustration after trying clay, tape, wood and anything else to put these three pcs together and keep them that way. There has to be a simple secret way. HELP GUYS!!

Thanks Bob (62 yr old modeler)
tray
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi Bob!

For gluing metal parts (metal to metal or metal to plastic) the most common solution is CA glue (aka superglue). It's easier than it seems at first.

Another thing, don't strain your eyes. Does no good to your health nor to your model either. I never sit at my table for more than half an hour at once, then I take short break, walk to the kitchen, have a drink or something, I try to look at "far" objects, this helps.

SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC
hi bob
for metal to metal it has to be super glue try the real thin stuff, also for the real small parts just brush on some humbrol gloss coat then place the etch in place. then aplly a small amount over the top of the part. then leave to dry and it should be stuck in place with no residue as the varnish will have completely dried. it works for me.
all the best.
neil (39 yr old modeler)
rasser2
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 09:40 AM UTC
Thanks very much for the quick reply. I thought CA might be the answer but I think I need the thick and not the thin if I understand your reply. Do you glue each pc together as you assemble or assemble the whole thing then glue it? I tried and tried putting the whole thing together but the best I could do is get to verticals in place and then the whole thing would fall apart as I tried to put another pc to the assembly. Do you use a jig to hold either the vanes of the louver or the verticals? I tried clay to hold the vanes and it was a big help. I have found out that with my bear like paws, that the clay really helps me with the small tweezer type parts. Again many thanks, and I intend to work in shorter bursts of time.
Have a great day and happy modeling.

Bob
rasser2
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Nei,
Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds I will be sitting down in the shop and giving all this help to assemble, what I have found to be, a very frustrating process if you don't know how to do it.
I have been using clay to hold my small parts and my problem was I was trying to assemble the whole thing and then glue it. I like the approaches that have been given to me. It reminds me of how do you eat an elephant, "one bite at a time."
Have a great day and happy modeling!!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP