Thought I would DROP in for a DAFt discussion
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 01:38 PM UTC
Hi folks

My first ever project on the site to try to encourage myself to get my finger out of my backside and get going on this 1/24 scratchbuild. Used to drive the DAF DROPS so would love to get help in keeping my momentum going. Any help, constructive crit and advice greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks to BARV for some brief advice at Perth 2 shows back and for giving me the link to this site.

I also want to try to get a 1/24 Bedford MK or MJ varient (GS, UBRE, flatbed with HIAB ??????) but need scale drawings. Got a great 1/24 TJ tipper on e-bay by REGAL TOYS (really old kids plastic toy) to maybe start convert.

Any body able to help?

:-[ ] BARV, where did you learn to do all that fine work

This site is full of great works of art from every era and theme!!!!!
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 03:25 PM UTC
Thought I would try to upload a pic or two of the build in progress.

Hope this works.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:17 PM UTC
Can't help you with much more than encouragement. Don't have any materials on this vehicle.

The frame looks great. The fenders look a little to large (to me), they look as if they are made of resin so I may just be wrong.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi Scott

Thanks for that! Encouragement is much needed. Like everyone else on here time seems to fly by with other life facters taking priority like the family, DIY, office work. I need to get my ass in gear to get this model rolling and keep it going.

If I set myself a challenge of getting some work done and trying to post progress shots on here it might get me motivated.

The dry run you see on here is purely to get the scale of things. there needs to be the gaps set between the tyres and the guards. Then the clearance to allow the turntable to clear the chassis rails needs to be worked out.

Having forgotten to put my ISO locks into the correct position on the real thing this clearance is critical to prevent damage to the mud guards when the truck/trailer combination does a 90 degree turn. The front ISO locks cut a deep grove in the mud guards if left in the disinguaged position. Something the Sgt's were always quick to spot when the trucks arrived or were about to leave location. Once was enough for me to remember from then on.

Once the axles and suspension leaf springs are worked out, the ride hide will be corrected and the wheel guards should look more correct. For trailer ride height, I will probably do a compromise somewhere between laden and unladen height so that I can pose the models with flat rack on, off or even being loaded/unloaded.

I hope that BARV's tricks at hydraulic ram construction make it possible to pose the combination in all its glory. There is plenty of scope for variations in load out of flat racks too. Asside from my own photos, I am finding more and more pics as I trawl the internet.

Unless someone can suggest a way to give a degree of true scale flex in the leaf springs that will mimic the laden and unladen ride heights in 1/24?

Nige
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 09:58 AM UTC

Sheesh!!----just in from SMW and my mate throws this post at me ........give me time too get my coat off and settled --I have the Tech -man pics for the UBRE ....and a few Drops pics --and possibly a sketch or two -----as for the "springs " I have a trick up my sleeve for just that ---so be patient with the "old guy " ----spk soon
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sheesh!!----just in from SMW and my mate throws this post at me ........give me time too get my coat off and settled --
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

What are you bleating about... You've normally scratched a couple of diggies in that amount of time!

Removed by original poster on 11/14/07 - 09:46:17 (GMT).
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi folks

This is what my 1/24 trailer model should look like when complete. This is the Smith Autos model in 1/50 scale which I intend to buy at some time in the future to add to their DAF DROPS motor I bought while in Holland about 10 or 12 year ago I think. The detail on these models are great.

My DROPS motor has minor differences to the motor I drove with the TA (mud guards shape) but I was well chuffed to find the model at the time. If I could afford the trailer model I would use it for reference to for scaling up. One for SANTA's xmas pressy list I am thinking. I will need to give my wife access to this e-mail for a big hint! That and a Bedford MK.

Would highly recommend Smith Autos for quality and detail.

I am looking forward to putting the 2 different scales together. Maybe a perspective shot or two in convoy. Long way off for now.

Nige
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hey Casper!!!

Thanks for all your help so far. Very Very Very much appreciated. Caught some of your previous submissions in other forums about leaf springs.

Looks such an easy way to form the leaf springs. One question, you say to harden the brass after annealing and bending. How do you harden the brass? Is it dipping in cold water?

Nice to see that you like working in 1/24. Is that Bedford you did in 1/24 too?

Thanks again

Nige
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi ya Nige,
Just keep pluggin away at it.
Have PM'd ya.
Do you have a pic of the tractor unit - I was just wondering which DAF model/ year you are modeling ?
Modified car aerials work well and look good for the hydraulic rams with the advantage of being multi-posable.
Looking forward as this progresses.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 08:09 AM UTC
Thought I would put some update pics in.
DROPS (KFS) Resin cab and wheels
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc229/okdoky/DROPS/DROPSandKingTrailer008.jpg" BORDER="0">

King Trailer (KFS) wheels and mudguards

DROPS and trailer with 1/24 Chevy Blazer and Landrover 110 for scale

Truck and trailer is approx 700mm long

To side was my attempt at scratchbuild of DAF Cab using plasticard before KFS kit was in production. Got stuck on the curves of the roof and front details

Hope you like
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:51 AM UTC
KFS resin cab kit is a great package with lots of resin, white metal and PE. Will need to scratchbuild the cupola, MG mounts, grab rails and other parts to militerise the civvy cab.

Before the KFS cab was produced I tried and got stuck building a plasticard version. Deformed the roof trying to roll the curves in to the plasticard and scalded my hands in the hot water.

Wasn't too far out with the general shape and size

You can see the location of the cupola on the roof that I will have to copy where the sun roof is on the resin

I will maybe find a use for the plasticard cab, maybe as a load (returned cab for refurb and repair)
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 08:43 AM UTC

okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:31 PM UTC
http://www.marshallsv.com/documents/DROPS%20Data%20sheet%202006%20Iss%201.pdf
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:41 PM UTC
After revamping my shed layout, I put the fire on and did a wee bit modelling.
I can see what part I want to try to make as i lay out each bit on plans.

Made the locker up. I need to look at the video as to how it is supported on the chassis.

Brass sheet hinges work but will avoid doing too often as fatigue fracture might happen.

Wish I could connect the tiny chains for locking pins (ideas from braile scale fans please)

Next stage I am fixing is the rear drive from a doner Merc chassis.

Nige
 _GOTOTOP