_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Interior Colour Of British Centurion?
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC
Hi folks,

I have the 1/25 Tamiya Centurion MKIII kit that I would like to start building in the new year. I am trying to gather some information on this beast so I can do a half decent job of it.

My question right now is about the colour of the interior. The instructions say it should be painted light grey but I seem to recall seeing somewhere that they were a silver colour? I would just like to confirm what colour I should be looking for. I tried a search but only found info on war time vehicles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really looking forward to tackling this kit!

Jeff
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 01:50 PM UTC
Silver it is. British Tanks were painted in this silver colour from the war years on but I believe they have changed to White since. A good out of the bottle match is Tamiya flat aluminium.
Cheers
Al
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 02:01 PM UTC
Wow that was fast! Have to love this interweb thingy.

Thanks Al. I thought that was the case but just wanted to confirm that bit of info.

Jeff

horsegunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 02:06 PM UTC
The correct colour for the interior of a Cent is approximately 40% flat grey (about the colour of primer grey) mixed with 60% of flat aluminum or flat silver. When I built this kit about ten years ago, I was fortunate enough to be able to pick the brain of a former RCEME craftsman who remembered mixing the colours after a depot rebuild of some of the Cents in the early 70ies.
Hope this helps somewhat. With a little TLC, it is a great kit.

Art
3rdRTR
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 08:02 PM UTC
British tanks post-war were painted Silver - not silver mixed with grey. The paint was aluminium based, and NEVER dried properly, so we always ended up smeared with silver streaks on our black coveralls!

Dick
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:57 PM UTC
I don't know about Canadian ones but the Australian ones were Silver. I helped Restore one in the early 90's as a RAEME Cpl and had the chance to match colours for a Churchill I was building. The Tamiya colour was a near perfect match. Dick, I know what you mean about smears, ruined many a good tanksuit.
Cheers
Arte et marte
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

British tanks post-war were painted Silver - not silver mixed with grey. The paint was aluminium based, and NEVER dried properly, so we always ended up smeared with silver streaks on our black coveralls!

Dick

Yep! I remember the crap well! Hated it!

I don't think it ever dried on anything but uniforms.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the replys. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Jeff
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 06:46 AM UTC
And I'm sure that the "never dried" phenomenon is why the two halves of the split Cent at Bovington are behind plexiglass--they don't want tourist tank geeks ruining their clothes!
Greg
 _GOTOTOP