_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Vietnam
All things Vietnam
Hosted by Darren Baker
WIP M151A1C (mounted 106mm Recoiless Rifle)
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 03:48 PM UTC
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Well, what I thought was going to be a quick build has turned quite differently (but still fun!).
Academys new M151 series was a welcome replacement for the old Taymia kits...however out of the box, none of the A1 versions are right. They are a hodge-podge of A1 and A2 features, with a lot of simplifications. The M151A1C is probally the worst of the versions for this "tack on some more parts and call it good" approach...anyway, it provides some basics, and give the opportunity for some simple but effective scratchbuilding...

So far ive scratchbuilt:
--gun travel lock and mount (totaly missing in kit)
-- spare wheel mount (very simplified part in kit, but correct location)
-- the sheet metal thing in front of spare wheel (missing in kit)
-- radio shelf (in kit, but thick)
-- upper suspension arms in front (missing in all M151 kits)
-- front skid plate (missing in all M151 kits)
-- framework and mounts for rear crew seats (very simplied in kit, and inaccurate)
-- accelerator peddle...bent copper wire to shape, then squezed flat with pliers

Im also throwing in various details from Legends "Vietnam" M151 update, and used AFV clubs 106mm.

here is the front end...
I dont think im going to mess with backdating the rear suspension..(kit is A2 type) I discovered that too far into the build. I am noting it for next time though!

here you can see the inside of the new spare wheel mount and other details...
The rear seats and ammo racks are a "drop" in kit that has a sheet metal framework, which is totaly missing in the kit except on the rear panel...those upside down L shapes molded on the rear is the sheet metal frame!

speaking of the ammo rack..it has to be modified too. The spacing is off on the racks, and if you use the kits locating holes the whole assembly will be too far forward..but if you move it back you now have to extend the front end so your 106mm will sit right.
Now about that 106mm mount, the kit has you put the legs on backwards! If you put them on correctly (swap parts #D1 and D2) you will get the right spread for a dismounted 106mm, but when mounted it seems in pictures the legs were slightly folded in so they could fit around the crew seats...so before gluing together modify the legs to fold in a little tighter.

Next up...crew seats, radios, antenna mounts, and tread plates (they are hinged below the seats and would lie on the ammo tubes so the crew could stand on this instead of the ammo tubes)

Anybody know if those sandbags along the hood are a ligit idea? They come in the Legends set and I think would look good on this.

Im open for any comments!!
Andy

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 05:52 PM UTC
Looking great so far. I too plan on super-detailing and correcting an M151A1 and/or A2 in the future. Some great pics on how to do it. What did you use for the front, upper A arms? It looks like angle iron Plastruct or Evergreen stock bent to shape. The sand bags on the hood look correct to me. I have seen references that show them there as well. Keep us posted on your progress.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi Andy.

First of all, great job on the model so far. I look forward to seeing the progress and completion.

As for the sandbags, although I am sure it is possible/probable that sandbags were "mounted" at times, all the photos I've seen do NOT have them. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it was not a common occurence I'd think. The reasons being:

1) that the M151A1C already had reinforced suspension to handle the extra load of the Recoilless and rounds, so extra weight like sandbags probably wouldn't have been added. Even with the heavy duty supension, that bugger sat LOW.

and 2) the sandbags wouldn't have been much protection, especially when compared to their extra weight. Plus, the extra weight slows the vehicle down and after all, speed was the primary defense of the Mutt Armed anti-tank weapons (including the TOW mounted M151).

With all that being said, I think it looks cool with the sand bags and since it is in the realm of possibility, I am personally fine with them being there. I don't get too anal about things like this and wouldn't have a prob. The only time I have probs with stuff is when something is totally impossible vs. just improbable.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 08:50 AM UTC
Andy-- marvelous subject area and one which is well done by you. The 106 is/was a fantastic weapon system. The back blast was awesome. The .50 spotter rifle served many purposes. I can assure you when that round hit something, it was a goner. Now, the sand bag question. I can recall few areas or things that I witnessed while there that were not surrounded by sand bags--- latrines, tanks, trailers, water buffalos, personnel carriers (interior), bunkers, etc. At the time, I thought we filled sand bags because it was easy to dig and we had plenty of down time to eat. I am an expert sand bag filler. So, when I see a sand bag on a Vietnam era vehicle I have one of those PTSD things. Very nice job.
Keep us posted.
DJ
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What did you use for the front, upper A arms? It looks like angle iron Plastruct or Evergreen stock bent to shape. .

I used some plastruct ABS grey shape (small T beam). I didnt have any U shape handy that was small enough. However the stuff is a PAIN to heat and bend....the ABS goes super soft instantly (after holding over heat for a min or so), but hardens almost imediatly after removed from the heat. A pain for bending a complex shape, even over a jig.

Next time im going to use some styrine U shape, thinned down a bit....that should work better.

thanks for the comments!
Andy
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

1) that the M151A1C already had reinforced suspension to handle the extra load of the Recoilless and rounds, so extra weight like sandbags probably wouldn't have been added. Even with the heavy duty supension, that bugger sat LOW.

With all that being said, I think it looks cool with the sand bags

Thanks for your comments....its a little what I suspected, and ill probally use them just because they do look cool on this particular build. I didnt mention, but did correct the rear suspenson height a bit. I think it will look right...the kit OOB sits way to low in the rear and just doenst look right.

Ill keep posting pictures as I get progress done.....did some work on the radios last night and now have the materials to make the crew platforms

Andy
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 09:28 AM UTC
I just wanted to bump this up. Thanksgiving, and the never ending honey do list has kept me away from the bench for a bit, but I have managed to get some more items done. I have finished the travel lock, made a new A1 style steering wheel, some underbelly details, the folding grate crew platforms, and loaded up some tubes. Just need to wire up some radios and we will be close to go to the paint shop.
I should have some pictures posted up tomorrow or monday of what I have so far.
Andy
 _GOTOTOP