_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
mini-campaign proposal: RamTiger
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 09:06 AM UTC
There was this idea thrown about a few month ago about a RamTiger minicampaign, but nothing since then.
Is anyone interested?
Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:31 AM UTC
Excuse my ignorance what is a Ramtiger?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excuse my ignorance what is a Ramtiger?

This is one of the many builds that will show you what one is (or was supposed to be ).

Interesting vehicle to say the least. Should add; it's also called the RÄUMPANZER Tiger (P) or the Rammtiger.

Mike
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC
Vermont6,

Dr Porsche had 100 chassis started when he was vying for the Tiger I contract. Henschel won, but Hitler like the Porsche design, and they were already started, so 93 Ferdinands were built with 88 mm main guns. Several of the chassis were left uncompleted or built as the Tiger(P). Three were set aside to be built as the Rammtiger(P) for use in Stalingrad. Plans were drawn up and a wooden model made. No one has ever seen any pictures of the real vehicle, so say they were built and then scrapped, others say the chassis were used for other purposes. A big "What if", but count me in for a build.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 07:16 PM UTC
The idea is good, but I doubt you will find 10 people wanting to build the Rammtiger. What about making it into a real campaign and make it for all Tiger vehicles. Everything made on the Tiger chassis: SturmTiger, Tiger (P), Ferdinand, King Tiger, Tiger I, Jagdtiger etc.?

Then I am sure you would find 10 participants and a very interesting campaign
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 01:50 AM UTC
It's not my idea. I think the basic diea was to have everybody scratch the ramtiger upper structure in a small, limited, and very focused minicampaign. (There was a plan circulated a few months ago, and someone suggested this campaign then.)
As for a Tiger only campaign -I think these tanks are overrepresented already. I was surprised not to see one in the OIF campaign.
Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hey guys

Thanks for the histroy lesson, never heard of it. Sounds interesting, scratch work is not my cup of tea, but I would be interested in seeing other peoplse work if this got off the ground. Good luck with the idea.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Vermont6,

Dr Porsche had 100 chassis started when he was vying for the Tiger I contract. Henschel won, but Hitler like the Porsche design, and they were already started, so 93 Ferdinands were built with 88 mm main guns. Several of the chassis were left uncompleted or built as the Tiger(P). Three were set aside to be built as the Rammtiger(P) for use in Stalingrad. Plans were drawn up and a wooden model made. No one has ever seen any pictures of the real vehicle, so say they were built and then scrapped, others say the chassis were used for other purposes. A big "What if", but count me in for a build.

Actually, there is a published photo of a completed one captured at a proving ground at the end of the war. They do not appear to have ever been used in combat. The utility of a vehicle designed to make a building collapse on top of it is questionable to say the least.
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:41 AM UTC
Picture of a completed Rammtiger(P)? There was a fake photo passed around done by a modeler, it was sitting behind some Russian tanks.
LSniper
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 162 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 03:59 AM UTC
Here is a drawing of the Rammtiger

I hope that helps

I hope those help

MATT
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:45 AM UTC
Spongya, I believe I was the one who tossed around the idea with a few other modelers on the site. I would still like to do it, but I don't know if enough people would want to do it. Anyone else interesdted?
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hi William,
Do you think we could argue that the meaning of the "minicampaign" is a "campaign limited in duration, participants or subjects"?
In this case less then ten people, and one vehicle. (The problem with the "big" campaigns is that due to their wide scope they all look the same. Smaller, more focused campaigns should have their place, too.)
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 01:03 PM UTC
Yes, a "mini-campaign" could have the guidelines of one vehicle, and around ten people who are all committed to building it. Spongya, you might have invented a new campaign catagory!
Jagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Saarland, Germany
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 06:46 PM UTC
Hello everyone.

I must say I find this vehicle quite interesting. I've never heard of it either. I'm not really the type of guy for a scratch build so this is nothing for me, sadly. If you guys can't get enough people together for the campaign you can always sign up for the "World War Experimentals And Planned" campaign. A Rammtiger would qualify seeing as it was built in such small numbers.

Season's greetings,
Mike
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi,
I never did scratchbuilding in my life, either. There are plans circulating, and since the superstructure is relatively simple, I think I might be able to build one. (If not, you still have a Tiger (P) to finish, so there’s nothing to lose. I’m planning to do it in 1/72, fit it to a built Tiger, and when it’s done, buy another kit, and build it for the Ramtiger’s hull.)

The campaign wasn’t my idea; I just asked if it’s still around. But it’d be more unique if it had it’s own as the original author of the idea imagined. (Kind of like the “zoom” kits by Eduard… )

EDIT: small campaigns are not unprecedented. This one had 4 participants.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=71

I hope our Ramtiger can take off .
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 11:12 AM UTC
Would the individual or individuals that would like to "make this happen" please contact me via PM??

Mike
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:54 AM UTC
Guys, are there any 1/35 plans / drawings for this? I may as well convert my botched-up Ferdinand into one. Thanks
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007 - 02:40 PM UTC
I see five or so potential candiates for a "mini-campaign." To be blunt, will no one "step up to the plate?" I'd hate to see the RammTiger build die here....along with future "potentials."

Mike
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
PM sent!
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
Just started a new thread, on who is actually serious about doing this.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just started a new thread, on who is actually serious about doing this.

great! right now my access to the internet is in a mcdonalds using my phone, but as soon as I get back, i'll check it out.

_GOTOTOP