GMC truck Question
harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hi Guys
In the recent (december) issue of Model Military International there was a section of refernce photos of the GMC truck. As I have the tamiya 1/35 GMC truck in my stash i decided to build it as i was inspired by one of the pictures showing a GMC towing a Bofors AA Gun through a german town. Therefore I was wondering if anyone has any other information or pictures of GMC trucks being used to tow Bofors or American AA units with Bofors in NWE. Thanks for your help. Nick
Gill-oh-no
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 03:52 AM UTC
The GMC (the regular one, not the shorter 352) was the prescribed tractor for the Bofors AFAIK.
HTH
Removed by original poster on 11/18/07 - 23:39:03 (GMT).
petros
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys
Therefore I was wondering if anyone has any other information or pictures of GMC trucks being used to tow Bofors or American AA units with Bofors in NWE. Thanks for your help. Nick

They were used a lot in this capacity by AAA (AW) units. These were units equipped with 40mms and also .50 calibers (often in Maxon turrets) as opposed to other AAA battalions. The US Army actually fielded 4 different types of AAA units in NWE, AAA, equipped with 90mms, AAA (SM), semi-mobile units with a reduced amount of transport (which, iterestingly enough did not preclude their use in the advance, an example of this is the 749th, my Father's outfit, and two types of AAA (AW), the AW standing for automatic weapons. One type of AAA (AW) is what you are looking for, largely equipped with 40mms, and then there was the other type, which was meant to accompany armored advances, and were largely equipped with M16 and M15 halftracks, in additiion to other armament.

harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi Guys
Sorry for such a late response,
Claude, is that the tamiya one or nto? sorry for my ignorance!!
Petros, thanks very much for your picture very useful.
John, thanks very much for you info, interesting to hear that your father was 'part' of this.
Cheers, Nick
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys
Sorry for such a late response,
Claude, is that the tamiya one or nto? sorry for my ignorance!!
Petros, thanks very much for your picture very useful.
John, thanks very much for you info, interesting to hear that your father was 'part' of this.
Cheers, Nick

Nick, the Tamiya GMC is the standard wheelbase version, I believe the shorter one is only available as a resin kit or conversion so your good to go with what you have.
harrier1
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2007 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nick, the Tamiya GMC is the standard wheelbase version, I believe the shorter one is only available as a resin kit or conversion so your good to go with what you have.

Ok, thanks mark. Nick
 _GOTOTOP