_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tow cables
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 04:18 PM UTC
What is the best product to use in order to simulate tow cables on Russian modern tanks? I've heard about picture hanging wire but I have no idea how that actually looks like or where I could get it?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 04:48 PM UTC
Picture hanging wire is available at your friendly, neighbourhood Wally World. Comes in a little package with 2 eye hooks for attaching it to the picture frame. It's usually made of 4 or 5 strands of wire twisted into one. Works good, looks good, but depending on its stiffness can sometimes be a little awkward to make it lay down.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 05:41 PM UTC
If you can get i Grief makes great 1/35th tow cable material. They also make ends and other stuff like that. Check the big online stores for it. You get enough for several tanks in each package. It is also "rusty" so you don't have to weather it.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 - 09:12 PM UTC
I use the thread of the plumb-line that you can find at any hardware store. I't's inexpensive and when soaked in a solution of water and white glue and let dry, it bends very well, can be adapted to any surface and tahes the paint very realistically...
Ciao
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is the best product to use in order to simulate tow cables on Russian modern tanks? I've heard about picture hanging wire but I have no idea how that actually looks like or where I could get it?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC

You can also pick it up in the housewares department of your grocery store. No need to give Wally World any more money than they're already making. You can alos make your own with brass wire from an arts & craft store. Take a few strands and fold it over to make the right lenght. Secure that over any small solid object, such as a drill bit. Put the other end in a keyless chuck on a power driver and twist it. One roll of wire will provide huge amounts of cable and the stuff can be used an a variety of other ways on models.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:06 AM UTC
I have not tried it yet, nor am I affiliated with them in any way- but how about the real thing- steel cable

www.smallparts.com

at the home page click on Catalog at the top, then click on "W" brings you to the wire rope page,
click on 'Wire Rope, Stainless Steel' opens up an Adobe page from their catalog- halfway down is Cable- Stainless Steel
If my measurements are correct ( please correct me if I'm wrong) the 1/32 or the 3/64 Uncoated Cable should be just the thing for 1/35th armor,

I have the picture hanging wire, but this Wire Cable looks like it might be exactly what we modellers need.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
I don't have any suggestions for tow cables other than those given here but I have a question. I noticed several people used the phrase "Wally World." Is this a euphemism for Wal Mart? If so then John is right, I give them way too much of my money as it is. Then again I also give way to much to Hobby Lobby, Home Depot, my local hobby store, and most of all Tamiya.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
I use .015" solder or fly-tying lead wire. Twisting together two or three strands works great and produces a "cable" that looks better than string, and is easier to get to conform to the shape you want than picture hanging wire. Also most of the brands of picture wire around here are braided and not twisted.

Dave
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 07:43 PM UTC
personally, I like thin speaker wire it's thin and very flexible and it twists magnificently
MrFritz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use .015" solder or fly-tying lead wire. Twisting together two or three strands works great and produces a "cable" that looks better than string, and is easier to get to conform to the shape you want than picture hanging wire. Also most of the brands of picture wire around here are braided and not twisted.

Dave

I second this technique - I just used it for the first time and it works really well. To make consistent twists, I taped 3 strands to the edges of an old CD at equal angles to each other, then tie the other ends to something solid and twist. You can get very consistent turns this way.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
Wally World is euphemism for Wall Mart. The lovely place that it is.

I picture wire I have tried has been to stiff, so I've used various other wires twisted together. If you can check its stiffness first I would. That seems to be a reoccuring theme.
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
I use my cordless drill with the three strands in it and the other ends taped to a piece of cardboard, it is a lot faster than twisting by hand.

Dave
heavyarmor
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
If you don't want to make your own, I've gotta say Grief is the way to go., it's very pliable and realistic looking. Has anyone tried the cables from Karaya?
 _GOTOTOP