_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Incoming II:- BIG GUNS!!!!
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
OK, this might have come from a strange place, but as I was listening to the AC/DC song, “Big Guns” I thought to my self, “What a good idea.”

So, why not a campaign all about Big Guns? Since there are a good deal of kits out there on the subject and people like to build big when they can.

We have all of the new wonderful larger German guns from World War II, Dora, Karl, and Leopold. Then there are also the larger costal defense guns that were placed all over the world. Don’t forget the Paris Gun, Big Bertha, and Long Tom.

Just an idea I had while doing some non modeling work the other day. We could set the range on gun sizes from 100mm up to ?????. Any time period and any scale could also be built. Thought I’d throw this one out there and see who bites.

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:56 AM UTC
Jim,

Personally, I like the idea....as I am a huge fan of Artillery (20 years in Cannon Artillery). I have AFV Club's 155mm and 8 inch (203mm) on the shelf. One thing tho, with "Big Guns" having a very nice sound, should something as small as 100mm (to me the guys pullin' the 105's were pullin' "pop-guns") be included? Perhaps keep it at a 200mm, +/- a few mm's, minimum? This would still open it up to a fair amount of kits out there.

Alternative option would be Arty Up! 2....Artillery, Rockets, Missles, Mortars, AA....

Just some thoughts....

Mike
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 03:28 AM UTC
200mm might be better in keeping with the Big Guns theme. At first I was thinking maybe like 150mm and up. Looking for maybe a late summer start and running for 8-9 months. That way anyone with a Dora at home would have plenty of time to build her.

Like I said it was an idea born of a song, so we all know where those can go. Maybe just a General Arty 2 might be a better way to go.

If someone was so inclined they could build a dio of Sadam's "Super Gun".

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 06:39 AM UTC
Sounds like a great idea, but I think "Arty up 2" might be a better idea. More of different gun and missile systems to build and therefore more participants.

I would be in for a Arty up 2 campaign.

Just my two cents
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 07:42 AM UTC
Well, then it might just have to be Arty II "Son of Big Guns"

NO telling what I would have come up with if I had been listening to Pink Floyd.

OK, so now Arty II seems to be the main theme.

So any takers?
C|:-)
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 08:01 AM UTC
I don't want to build a track gun, but what about a Sturmtiger?
Jagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Saarland, Germany
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 08:14 AM UTC
Or a Brummbär?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 08:48 AM UTC
For ideas: Arty Up! Campaign and Incoming! Campaign

I like the "Incoming!" rules...I could build my working 1/4 scale Catapult....hmmmm....

Anyhow, I'm in....I have several towed howitzers and a few Flak's and ATGs that could be done.

Mike
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:06 PM UTC
For me I would like to stay with the tracked guns, but I also feel both the Strumtiger and Brummbar would fall into that same catagorey. They are listed as assult guns, which is a form of artillery.

I like the rules/guidelines for Incoming! Of course as long as we can get a few more people to jump on board then I will propose this one.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:15 PM UTC
I have a Tamiya 35 Brummbar in my stash, as well as a Zvezda "Katyusha" truck (not sure if that qualifies as a "big gun"). I can do either as long as the start date is late 2008, Im waaaay oversubscribed at the momment!

spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 02:42 PM UTC
I think the "Big Gun" would be better. Making it too general would take away any uniqueness from the campaign. (Include rockets and small caliber guns, and you end up with a campaign that looks like any WWII campaign out there. Let's face it, most of the stuff would be mostly WWII german, anyway. There could be a separate one for missiles and rockets.)
Think big. Leopold, Karl, M40, 17-21cm mortars (Grille 17, anyone?), etc.

Sturmtiger would still qualify (being a BIG gun).
Jagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Saarland, Germany
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 09:40 AM UTC
Well I really prefer building a tank over just a track gun. If you will allow for me to enter a model of a Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär in this campaign then I'm in. If not then that's fine too.....

Does anyone know when this campaign will start? Maybe July '08?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:55 AM UTC
Michael,

Not sure about the start date, but if this "Campaign Meister" puts it forth, the Brumby should be fine...we'll all have to see how this pans out....you'll have to hang tight for the "specifics" of this shindig, but if the rules are similar to the last couple o' "Artillery" related campaigns, I'm inclinded to think you'll be good to go.

Quoted Text

Include rockets and small caliber guns, and you end up with a campaign that looks like any WWII campaign out there

Andras, I'd have to disagree...A rehash of Arty Up! or Incoming! would be good...been a while since we've done that....and that concept alone allows for a wide variety of kits......British, U.S., German, Russian, Italian, French, Polish, you name it (country wise) and it's a potential candidate for a variety of "weapon systems." Again, depending on Jim's guidelines, the options are limitless.....IMHO, this is the kind of campaign that opens things up to a lot of builders from a wide variety of genre's. I'm not a huge fan of German Artillery, but that has what to do with what??

My 50 cents worth.

Mike

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 01:14 PM UTC
OK, here is what I am proposing.

Incoming 2: This time we mean business.
Scale: All
TimeFrame: All
Running time: July 4 2008 to Feb 4 2009

Prefer big guns, 200mm or up, but all artillery is welcome. Costal guns, siege guns, mortars, rocket assisted weapons. Pick your weapon and build it, the bigger the better. Dig deep and find those BIG GUNS!

Dios are welcome as always.

TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 01:20 PM UTC
Yup, still in!!

Mike
panzer67
Visit this Community
Nuevo Leon, Mexico
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 06:10 PM UTC
great idea...
this way i can finish my unfinished projects in scratch because this year i almost dont worked on my scratch models as last year. the unfinisheds are...
21 cms wilhelm or k12
38 cms langer max
80 cms dora
28 cms lange bruno
i need to complete almost 2 of the abandoned projects...

anyway, the deadline to complete campaign please latest as possible as november or dec 08 to have enough time
thanks
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 08:12 PM UTC
I would also be in for this one.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:28 PM UTC
Count me in - if nothing else I've got some small scale stuff plus a Thor and a Karl
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:49 AM UTC
I think we can make a go of this one. I will submit things and see what we can do.

spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andras, I'd have to disagree...A rehash of Arty Up! or Incoming! would be good...been a while since we've done that...

Exactly the problem. It's been done before. A great, novel idea was turned into a mediocre repetition of something old.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
Sounds great, I'm thinking about a atlantikwall coastal gun, probably 150mm. Big enoguh I hope:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/germans/big_gun.jpg

Martin
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 02:13 AM UTC
I submitted it as Incoming II: The Big Guns with a focus on 200mm and above. From the quick search I did today there is a range of weapons from medieval time right up to today that fit the requirements.

There are some good researchers out there and I bet they will be able to find some really interesting subjects. So, if there are any questions let me know and I will answer them.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 02:17 AM UTC
I might be in for this one, couple of kits suitable in the stash.
Blackwulf
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 06:15 AM UTC
I hope this doesn't turn into a "my gun is bigger than yours" competition. I have a Karl Morser that needs built. It would be nice to have a longer time frame for building as discussed earlier.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:42 AM UTC
I'm very tempted to have a go at scratching this in 1/35.

And this is the shell, so it should be a big enough calibre. Please ignore the chap fast asleep right next to it!

_GOTOTOP