_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
best manufacturers for abrahms,bradley,hummer
mrk1963us
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Wow great site! I just found it yesterday. Well I probably haven't built a model in 20 years,and even then it wasnt very detailed.So the project I've set for myself seems rather large. A dio of the 3rd I.D. in Bagdad!
What I really need to know right now is are these the correct vehicles for the 3rd I.D.;M1A2 abrahms,M2A2 bradley IFV, M988 hummer, AH64D Apache Longbow? And if these are correct what are the best manufacturers for each model?
I appreciate all your input and am sure I'll have a million more questions before it's done.
thanks
Oh Yeah, how do you get rank?
mark
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I really need to know right now is are these the correct vehicles for the 3rd I.D.

M1A2 abrahms I think you mean M1A1HA Abrams, this is the current tank in use by the 3ID in theater. Trumpeter is the best/cheapest M1A1HA (or A2) out-of-box.
M2A2 bradley IFV Tamiya's M2A2 is the only choice and is good enough for the casual observer
M988 hummer If you are talking about the standard 2- or 4-door soft top HMMWVs, then Academy for the 2-door and the Italeri "Commando Hum-V" for the 4-door are the real M998s despite what kit boxes say. If you mean the armored hard tops with the turret on top, then Academy's M966 TOW Carrier or M1025 Armament Carrier. Italeri also makes an acceptable M1036 (M966 with winch) that may be easier to find.
AH64D Apache Longbow? Slim picking in large scale, Revell makes an AH-64A in 1/32, Imex and/or Kangam makes the Longbow in 1/35.

Quoted Text

Oh Yeah, how do you get rank?

Go to the bottom of the page under Forum help/Rank Info for more info on rank. More posts, more rank.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 10:32 AM UTC
Okay, Sabot, you just confused me. Is there a difference between the Abrahms that the 3ID, 4ID and Marines are using? Just when I thought I had this down. Help
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:01 PM UTC
Not the expert that Sabot is, but the Marine and Army M1A1-HA's are very similar, most of the external differences are in the add-on equipment, the most visible to me being the smoke grenade launchers. I saw on some of the USMC ones what appeared to be an added plate behind the exhaust grills, not to mention the device mounted on the "manhole cover" on some other others.

The 4ID never got into the fray, but they are equipt with M1A2-SEP's, the biggest visible differences being the CITV (Commander's Independant Thermal Viewer) and the new commander's cupola including the new cal .50 mount (I forget the acronym)

Dave
mrk1963us
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 03:38 PM UTC
hey sabot what about the academy m2a2?
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:35 PM UTC
mrk1963us, let me answer your question: there is no Academy M2A2. Academy only makes M2 and M3 models and these are exact copies of old Tamiya models. They are no good for any version currently in use.

The only M2A2 model is the Tamiya one (and the very poor copy of it by Lee). Still it requires some work to make it a good M2A2, as it is just old Tamiya M2 model with some extra armor parts added.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey sabot what about the academy m2a2?

I think Sabot would concur...run away screaming. Get the Tamiya kit as the Academy Brads are bad knock-offs.
 _GOTOTOP