_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
ground/sand
mrk1963us
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 12:07 PM UTC
what do you use to recreate sand on the ground, and how is it applied /built
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 12:20 PM UTC
I use real sand the quartz the one with very fine grain, the same the kids use to play at school. Application is quite simple too: just dilute at 50% white glue and water, mix it and apply generously on the groundwork and sprinkle the sand over it. When dry just remove the excess.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
Dirt sifted through an old (hopefully ) nylon stocking for the fine stuff works for me. As mentioned above...white glue and water.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
The technique that I use is similar to Fabio's except for I spray paint my base a close color to the sand and add the sand onto it. I then shake the sand off and repeat. One advantage of this technique is that if you miss a spot it won't show up quite as much.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 01:12 PM UTC
Another option to toss out is kitty litter (UNUSED PLEASE :-) ) It's a nice scale and cheap. Apply the same way the guys above me have instructed - water and glue.

test out all these great options!
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 02:13 PM UTC
If you are looking for small particles, try to get some unused sand from a sandblaster. For lager grains, I use oil dry.

Patrick
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 09:51 PM UTC
mrk1963us

What I use a lot as sand for groundworks is the sand used for birdcages. This is really fine sand and maybe you have to sift it as there will be some small pebbles in it but it is white colored and you can apply it like Scoccia described with the diluted glue mixture or like Grasshop with spraying paint

hope this is o some help

bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 05:33 PM UTC
I think your free to depict whatever terrain you want. Picture from Iraq that I have seen show everything from bare ground and rocks to small green plants (ground hugging) every couple of feet. Big green plants and trees, desert, mountains, rivers, even green grass. Vehicles of all colors were assigned every place so the options are there.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What I use a lot as sand for groundworks is the sand used for birdcages

Funnily enough that must be what I use as well. I buy the sand in the local pet shop. The guy there must think I feed my pet on sand, as thats all I seem to buy. Its worth checking out your local pet shop..... they have lots of little plastic plants for aquariums as well that could be used in dios.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 478 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hello!

Me, I use pot soil for ground work..^_^

I just have to be careful not to let my father discover that his "bonsai" plants are disapperaing one by one..

Hmmm...Sand available at a local petshop? I'll look into that....^_^

Thanks, PlasticBattle!

It's bout time to for me to use other ground work alternatives - I really feel my father would find out about the "bonsai" pots I hid...

Thanks again!

Byebye!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello!

Me, I use pot soil for ground work..^_^

I just have to be careful not to let my father discover that his "bonsai" plants are disapperaing one by one..

Hmmm...Sand available at a local petshop? I'll look into that....^_^

Thanks, PlasticBattle!

It's bout time to for me to use other ground work alternatives - I really feel my father would find out about the "bonsai" pots I hid...

Thanks again!

Byebye!

What I think he means is the sand used in the aquarium. These sands are quite large
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Armorama: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
For "scale" sand try Michaels. Look for decorative sand which you should be able to find in a variety of colours. It is very find sand, almost powder like. You can secure it to your groundwork with diluted white glue or spray photo mount (more difficult to control). You could also put you diluted white glue into a spray bottle and use that... you would have to ensure the sprayer was completely clean if you were going to use it again.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I think he means is the sand used in the aquarium. These sands are quite large

I dont think the sand I got there is for an aquarium. It is too fine and would cloud the water. It is more likely to be for a hamster cage or something like that! It is really fine and clean.
 _GOTOTOP