_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What is behind the IDF’s obsession with red?
UM83CANES
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 02:27 AM UTC
I’ve seen a few pictures of IDF vehicles (particularly halftracks) so covered with red tow shackles, tie-downs, and lift-points etc. that they look like they are in rout to a Christmas parade

Personally, I actually like the IDF’s use of red as it allows us modelers some extra contrast and detail etc. but it seems sort of strange to give a potential attacker / enemy that many bright red aiming points.

Is there a practical reason for the IDF pointing those parts red – other than to make those parts easier to find?

Also, can anyone tell me when the IDF first started painting things red? So references have tons of red while other vehicles have very little or none – is this due to the time frame?

Thanks,
Noah

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there a practical reason for the IDF pointing those parts red – other than to make those parts easier to find?

I believe its to call attention to the crew when they do their PMCS. I've seen hubcaps on IDF M113 painted red and that's part of the crew level maintenance to check before they go off and use the vehicle
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 05:09 AM UTC
They paint the handels,loops, handels, fire ext.handels and those types of items red so they are easy to find for the crew.
The amount of items that are painted red varies for platoon to platoon.
But thats the verion I heard.
Nagman
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:15 AM UTC
In reply to your question of why RED, in the book on Israeli Military Vechicles First 50 Years a paragragh comments that red was first seen on vechicles returning from a excursion into lebanon in 1991. It says it is for two reasons, first on wheel nuts and hubs or other critical areas that need constant maintanceand asa a visual que to the part time army, and second on such items as tow hooks and shackles can be found in an emergency or if broken down and need towing under battle to easily find the tow hooks.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 09:54 PM UTC
Does anyone know when they started doing this? I ask because I have Tamiya's original Merkava Mk.I in the stash and it would be nice to relieve the grey sand colour with a few spots of red.

seán
 _GOTOTOP