_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Big scale Chieftain
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 02:08 AM UTC
Does anybody out there know of someone who may have the Old 1/25 Chieftian kit. I am looking for one and can't find one anywhere. I realize they are long out of production, I just would like to find one. Thanks in advance for any help. I know this is a long shot but you never know.
PITERPANZER
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 03:28 AM UTC
Here You are ->new,but copy of Tamiya model.
http://www.modellbau-universe.de/produkt;chieftain-tank;TOY~10151;4;1;1;1.htm?PHPSESSID=uu7a78c3qbiksltbtq9rfbnr91
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 05:12 AM UTC
If you settle for a Toy Star expect some quality issues. I built their SU-100 and the plastic is cheap and thin in areas, parts don't fit as well as the Tamiya and things we take for granted (like the suspension arms) are warped and hard to work with.

I found my Tamiya Chieftain (and still in the box unbuilt) on ebay and paid dearly for it. I saw one sold here lately for just over $138.00 and looked complete. Mine was alot more than that.

So, that's where I would look. Don't know if that's what you are expecting to pay.

Hey, make me an offer!

Jeff
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys. I realize I will have to pay a lot for the Tamiya one. I built one of the big Cents a few years ago, and loved it. I am a bigger fan of the Chief than the Cent though. I wish some one would come out with a new Chief in 1/35 as well.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
I saw a Centurion on ebay that was going for $89.00 with time left. I did hear that Tamiya was going to re-release it, maybe they'll do the Chieftain as well!!! I hope so, they also had a Sherman and the self-propelled gun "Big Shot" would be cool to see too.

Jeff
sauron
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found my Tamiya Chieftain (and still in the box unbuilt) on ebay and paid dearly for it. I saw one sold here lately for just over $138.00 and looked complete. Mine was alot more than that.

Uh, Jeff . . that would be me that got that Chieftain I believe. That's what I gave for it there a bit ago including shipping. It was still in the original shrinkwrap and complete. If I were you Cory, I'd make a run at it on evilbay. I hated to pay that much but you take what you can get at my age (57), especially OOP's. Good luck.
Rick
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:59 PM UTC
Hi Rick. Yeah, I couldn't remember all the details. Just using that as an example. I bought mine at an auction some time ago on ebay and paid $177.00 plus shipping. It is complete. I figured for a guy who just turned 48 this year I had to take what I could get too!

Jeff
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 05:52 AM UTC
Bear in mind that the larger scale kit is not nearly as good as the 1/35th scale version (which has a few accuracy issues, too). The 1/25th scale model is based on the prototype as first shown to the public, which had a huge, bogus stowage box mounted on the front to conceal the glacis armor configuration. The kit duplicates this, and it would require a huge investment in time to correct.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:48 AM UTC

Great scratchbuild project from tracks(ground level) -up .............. need to start from "scratch"
Have 2 ........but will be a while before I get to chop them up --same with my 1/25 Cents(5)--got too many to finish before them on the shelf
You will have to get good drawings to be even near to being reasonable .....Best of Luck !!!!
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 01:22 PM UTC
Though it may have it's faults, it's still a great kit to have and to build!

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP