Hosted by Darren Baker
Skybow Tiger I complete
ErikW
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 06:22 AM UTC
I finished my Skybow Tiger I diorama this week. This was a fun project and a welcome diversion from my N scale model railroad layout. This project was my first armor model as well as my first attempt at painting figures. I think both came out reasonably well, for a first effort.

I know some of the detailing isn't quite prototypic, which of course I figured out after it was painted. One thing I could've done better is use a darker colored pin wash rather than the medium gray area wash I used. This would've made the detail stand out better. Next time though . . .

Erik
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 08:33 AM UTC
Erik, don't beat yourself up. It looks great. I l ike the turret number over the spare tracks. Please explain that one as it looks pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. "Q"
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 09:26 AM UTC
REALLY! It's beautiful and the right amount of chipping and weathering.

Jeff
ErikW
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I l ike the turret number over the spare tracks. Please explain that one as it looks pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. "Q"

The spare tracks as add on armor were common on the tanks of the 507th Schwere Panzer Abteilung. Since they covered nearly the whole side of the turret, they would repaint the number on the tracks. This seems pretty unique, which is why I chose this tank to model.

Erik
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:30 AM UTC
Ok, I know why they had the tracks on the turret sides, I was wondering how you did the markings on the tracks on your model. Paint, decals, dry transfers ??Thanks, "Q"
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC
terrific work!

You mention that this was your first attempt at painting figures? I'm impressed!

Can you give a quick description of how you painted the faces?
ErikW
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:37 AM UTC
The numbers on the track links are from a Bison Decals set for this specific tank. I cut them into three horizontal strips to fit flat on the track links and then applied them. Once they were softend with decal setting solution, I used a sharp #11 blade and cut of the decal film between each link. I then applied more solution.

The faces came out better than I had thought they might. I painted them with a light tan/ skin color, then applied a very thin orange/ red wash. Lastly, I highlighted with a very thin light skin color. All paints and washes were acrylics.

Erik

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 09:44 AM UTC
Okay. That makes sense. Thanks for sharing. "Q"
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hi Erik. For a first armor model and first figures, you should be very pleased. So many positives, the weaker things are not even noticed. Great work ... and also kudos for the very professional base and groundwork. Nice one.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC
Excellent build! I wouldn't sweat the wash at all, as this truly looks scale rather then overdone and I don't see anything wrong with it at all. Great job on the weathering, figures, and base as well! Everything is attatched with a bracket, no excessive rust or grime, tracks look good, cables have slack where they should-looks like you've been doing it for years, bravo!
 _GOTOTOP