_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with Merkava Gun Barrel
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hello there. I ´m planning to build a Merkava from Trumpeter. The box is tittled as Merkava II, but I realy believe it´s a Merkava I. Looking at photographs and reference books I can notice that the kit doesn´t have the aditional armour protection plates in the turret sides and the brackets of the armour side skirts of the hull are not reinforced like in the Merkava II.
Is this right ?
I want to replace the gun barrel with an aftermarket one but I´m not sure of the exact type of gun it is. Does the Merkava I & II use the same gun ? Is it the M68 105 mm ?
Help will be very appreciated.
Linz
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 11:50 PM UTC
According to Jane's Armour and Artillery 2003-2004 the Mk 2 differs as follows:

Quoted Text

Main improvements over the original production model include a layer of special armour on the front and sides of the turret, special armour on the hull front, the 60 mm mortar is mounted in the left side of the turret roof and can be loaded and fired from within the turret, and the steel skirts that protect the suspension are backed by special armour. The new side skirts are attached by heavy spring hinges so that the skirts do not become detached while crossing rough terrain.

They both use the same gun (the L7 M68). If it helps, these are fitted to their M48, M60 and Centurion series MBTs.

Cheers,
Linz
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2003 - 01:30 AM UTC
Thank you Linz. These clarify my doubt.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC
yes they both used the same gun the L7/M68 105mm. however depending what time period your depicting the bands on the thermakl sleeve will be different

Josh AKa shiryon
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
I will not place it in a determinated moment, When finished I´ll place it in a nice wood base with a glass cover and put it in my office bookshelf. I´ll replace the gun barrel kit with an aftermarket gun barrel from Modelpoint. With the one of the kit is imposible to obtain non visible seams.
Thank you Josh.

Carlos Schneerson
 _GOTOTOP