_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stapling Tracks together?
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 04:00 AM UTC
I was wondering how do you fit the stapler into the tracks(My stapler is big), so that you can staple them together if the melting of the tracks fail.
Do you take the staple out of the stapler and hamer it shut? or is there a way to fit the stapler in there.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
Personally, I wouldn't staple tracks together. If melting was unsuccessful ( I know it can be at times) I would drill small holes in the tracks and then either use very thin wire and weave it though or perhaps even use thread to secure both ends of the track. If done correctly, the transition will be seamless.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 04:12 AM UTC
I'm right there with Marty. I've built piles of tanks/APCs and only had one track break (and that was due to my own ignorance).
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 04:25 AM UTC
I've a small stapler that I can wedge in, I do squeeze the tracking tabs on the inside of the tracks.
I would say if you cant manage getting them then your idea is a good one. Manually insert it and then bend them over - for that matter you could use hobby wire too.
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 04:48 AM UTC
Ok Thanks guys!

I'll try the string techniqe
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 06:19 AM UTC
I've done it both ways, Timber. If you can hide the joint behind a fender or mud guard the staple will probably be stronger. If you need the joint in the open somewhere the wire or thread is easier to find.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 06:40 AM UTC
Wouldn't a drop or two of ca do the trick guys?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC
Some of the tracks are pretty finiky (sp?) when it come to CA. As often as not I have glued them to my fingers instead of to each other.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 06:58 AM UTC
I wouldn't use CA glue. Like Keenan said it can be pretty finicky. I think that epoxy might work better.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 07:30 AM UTC
Avoid CA like the plague wen it comes to gluing tracks together. On the vast majority of them it will not dry (unless of course you try picking them up, in which case it sticks to your fingers, workspace,etc.) CA is great for many things, just not tracks. If you are going to use glue on tracks, make sure they are gluable tracks and use regular model glue.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 09:52 AM UTC
I use the stapler staples bending them with pliers (the metal is quite soft and easy to bend). Another thing I do is to drill two small holes in the track and then adapt the staple to the holes. It works well and it's almost invisible. On the vinyl tracks (with the exceptionof a few from Tamiya) to ise glue is often tricky. Did anybody try epoxy by the way?
Ciao
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Avoid CA like the plague wen it comes to gluing tracks together. On the vast majority of them it will not dry (unless of course you try picking them up, in which case it sticks to your fingers, workspace,etc.) CA

Guys:
I've used ca on tracks and gotten a white looking crystaline "residue" after curing, but outside of that, I've evidently been lucky and not experienced the possible difficulties inherent in using it on tracks.

Thanks for the insights.

Steve aka WeWillHold
 _GOTOTOP